1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The death of the telephone call'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In late 2007, text messages surpassed phone calls as the most popular way to reach someone through one's mobile phone, er, device.

Fun read here that reminds you how much things have changed.

The Exact Moment When People Stopped Talking on the Phone

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Phone calls suck.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I used to love talking on the phone. Racked up huge bills in the per-minute years. Then texting came along. I was a reluctant convert at first, mocking those dirty foreigners who stared at their tiny screens and endlessly tapped away at the keyboard. I fell into the abyss, though, and I have never looked back. Now, when the phone rings I know it is either incredibly important, or someone who doesn't know me.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love texting.

When we got rid of the landline, it was a great day in our family's history.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only problem with texting is that people demand an immediate response to a text question. If I'm driving, I'm not texting back. People legitimately get pissy about this.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I have a voice mail, I figure I must have fucked something up royally.

Big Circus likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Or that I've forgotten about a doctor's appointment.

8. MisterCreosote

For me, it's the exact opposite. If someone calls, they are demanding an immediate response by the call's very nature.

If they text, that's a signal that I can respond at my leisure. I take it as a sign of respect that people know I might be busy and can't take an intrusive phone call at the moment.

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know its fucking Slate, so the whole thing is a troll, but i find with texting that I have a wider circle of friends. I've met my brother in law's brother a few times. he lives across the country. He and I have a couple of common interests and we will text once or twice a year. its great. I'd never call him otherwise. I am texting with four or five friends every nfl sunday. I am not going to be in five different phone calls.

My mom is the only person in my life who doesn't text and its annoying as hell. She's locked in a neverending war with telemarketers on her land line, and actually takes the phone off the hook at times. Its the worst. I'd have a much better relationship with her if she would text.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Leader in the clubhouse for stupidest post of the day. If that's the measure of your relationship, you're a dick.

12. MisterCreosote

My mom learned to text when she got her first iPhone a few months back. Now she never stops. That's much, much more annoying.

The only person in my life who doesn't text is my brother, a thirtysomething who desperately wants to be 80, the way he complains about technology, the world and "kids today."

Draft saved Draft deleted