1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then why do Democrats power brokers universally support her candidacy?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This seems to be the most popular argument I've seen for keeping the Electoral College, and I really don't get it. Who gives a crap if the candidates step foot in your state? I want to see good candidates who have solid policy ideas on how lead the country, not a photo op.

I live in such a state, where my vote literally means nothing in the Presidential election. I still vote, but mostly because I can have a greater impact on my local and state elections.

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

CT is an example of one of those dispiriting states.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There might be a way to redistribute electoral votes within the state to more accurately represent the populace. Virginia is the perfect example. I'd say geographically, 75 percent of Virginia will vote red. The problem is that nearly all the population is in NoVa, Richmond and the Tidewater. NoVa and Richmond go blue, the rest of the state doesn't matter. I can see why that's dispiriting for those who live in other parts of the state.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Swing states, by definition, have decent populations. Otherwise they wouldn't have enough electoral votes for their "swing" status to matter. No candidate will ignore Ohio, Florida or North Carolina if popular vote becomes a reality.

And you may actually see candidates spending time in states that they never would have before.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

To a certain extent, perhaps, but the resume clearly demonstrates that HRC has a broad knowledge base and an overwhelming amount of experience in foreign and domestic policy that add up to qualification for the presidency that is unmatched by other candidates in modern times.

Besides being a horrible, contemptuous human being, Trump was staked with a huge pile of cash early in his life and has not been able to outperform your basic index stock with it.

Riptide, Ace and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the thing I don't get. I mean, I've been assailed for not being as socially invested as some on here, and I don't necessarily disagree. But this is so clear-cut, I feel like I can't help but be somewhat passionate about it. I feel like there's an inherent danger to all of us here if the wrong choice is made.

This time, I can't fathom anybody shrugging their shoulders as they enter the polling booth and saying, "Welp, I've always voted GOP. Just vote GOP now." That's when party affiliation becomes silly.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

By that measure, I guess J.T. O'Sullivan was the most qualified NFL quarterback in league history. Played for 11 NFL teams, 1 CFL team and 1 WLAF team. An overwhelming amount of experience unmatched by any other quarterback in modern times.

If only he didn't, you know, suck at his job.

J. T. O'Sullivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

old_tony likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

You don't even have to be a poor black American. You could be a successful
    college professor at Yale and be concerned for your safety.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/o...region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0
    I’m not sure how many days are left in my life.

I am not suffering from a terminal disease. I don’t work in a high-risk occupation. No, I don’t have suicidal thoughts. I don’t even live in an especially dangerous neighborhood.

I am racially black and I live in America, which raises the question: Will I live as long as I intend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.