1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying The Dallas Morning News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Sep 25, 2016.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I know some peeps that would not be happy if this happened.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Someone from the Dallas area needs to step in and buy the paper. I do think "watchdog journalism" and SportsDay would likely survive without many changes. However, the copy editors and page designers that would be cut... not to mention any other staff reductions....

5. nickp

nickp Active Member

A.H. Belo Chairman and Chief Executive James Moroney, who has been publisher of the Dallas Morning News since 2001, would like to sell, the source said.

He recently received interest in buying A.H. Belo’s 8 acres of Dallas real estate, but did not want to sell, the source said, indicating a larger deal may be in the works.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Gannett appears to be leading candidate for last company standing. Does Gannett have any redeeming qualities for the average reporter/desk person? I know it's cushy for editors and managers but seriously, tell me something good about Gannett (that affects reporters, copy editors, layout individuals).

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The fact that it doesn't could very well be why it will be the last company standing.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I doubt that Gannett is cushy for anyone these days.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You'll have two corporations left: Gannett owning the big metros, and GateHouse owning everything else.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Phil Kaplan tweeted out the Knoxville paper's 1A and sports fronts the other day, said they have a "new look" because they are done by the Nashville design studio.

Does that mean the design staff in Knoxville was gutted?

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Just got company wide email, Gannett laying off 2 more percent of people. Email basically said we'll let those who will be impacted know by tomorrow. Thanks for your contributions in advance. Heartless f them. Also everyone is impacted not just those fired.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted