1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writers really, really love Marriotts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Sep 23, 2016.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I figured a ton of people would really enjoy this story about sports writers and their obsession with staying at a Marriott hotel. It's a really good read. Happy Friday, y'all.

Sportswriters Love Marriotts More Than You Love Anything

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice. I wonder how you would rank these things that sportswriters love:

Marriotts
    Bruce Springsteen
    Early start times
    Blank receipts

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I stopped traveling regularly in 2006 and I never traveled as much as a baseball writer. I still had so many points that I didn't use the last of them until earlier this year.

But now, on the other side and trying to make budgets work, you have to be careful the writers aren't chasing points to the point they're costing you a lot of extra money. I get it, points are a nice perk for how often we ask these folks to be away from home. But we don't have money trees in our lives anymore.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Awesome; can't believe no one has written that before.

5. TigerVols

Just have them use the code NFL and get the league discount.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But not Mariottis.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I stayed in a Marriott for the first time a couple weeks ago. We got an insanely low group rate, luckily. It was a great hotel. Not sure I'd spend a couple hundred a night to stay there, though. Give me a half-decent Hampton Inn for $69 or whatever and I'm fine.

8. TigerVols

Funny enough, on PTI today Pablo Torre said "all sportswriters have to see a Springsteen concert" (it's The Boss' 67th Birthday today).

Ace likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ol Springsteen is nearing the end of his run.

Ace likes this.
  10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Got easier today to earn points with Marriott and Starwoods programs linked

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Joe Lemire, who wrote this, is one of the true nice guys in the profession. I was his editor on our college paper and once convinced him to write a football column based entirely on Lynyrd Skynyrd song titles (they were playing in the home school's basketball arena).

Mr. Sunshine and Double Down like this.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Two things I've always been pretty lukewarm on: Springsteen and Marriott whoring.

Come snatch my sportswriter card. (Now, Jason Isbell and the Local Eats app on the other hand...)

Ace and Mr. Sunshine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted