1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home security systems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The wife wants a security system. I'm trying to figure out if we could get by with a WIFI system (Nest? Canary?) or should bite the bullet for a monthly charge system like ADT or similar.

Any suggestions?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, do NOT get Vivint.

I had signed up for them about six years ago when I was having neighbor trouble. The system itself wasn't so bad. But the customer service makes Donald Trump look honest (sorry, couldn't resist).

I had signed up for a three-year contract. Three years was up, and I kinda was thinking about getting rid of it (the shitty neighbors moved on to annoy other people). Vivint convinced me to stay by knocking $10 a month off the price for another three-year contract.

Except, nearly every month, Vivint kept charging me the original price. I kept having to call them up, and they would reduce it back, and promise to change the price as it was supposed to be. Only, each month, I kept getting the same original price bill. It took about 2 1/2 years before a competent employee finally got it right.

Then, after the second three-year contract was up, I decided I'd had enough. I let it expire, waited a month, then called them and told them I wanted to cancel. The guy said I had to send something in writing by mail or email. I sent the email and got an acknowledgment back from them.

Except, sure enough, next month I get a bill. I call and tell them I cancelled. They said I had to give 30 days notice. I told them the previous guy didn't say that, but whatever. Sent them the check, and expected that would be it.

Except ... sure enough ... next month. Another bill. I call, tell them I had cancelled with the 30 days notice. Employee says that I actually had another year to go on the contract because I had made a verbal renewal it in 2014, one year into my second contract. I told her that I definitely did not, that it made zero sense for me to renew a contract one year into a three-year deal, that I had a screenshot of my renewed contract from 2013, and that I wanted the damn thing cancelled. She said she'd delete the charge, and send the cancellation on through.

Except ... sure enough ... another month. Another bill, for two months of service. After I had cancelled. I call AGAIN, and this employee seemed semi-competent. She said they had the acknowlegment of my cancellation, was going to delete the two charges, and email me the final cancellation.

Except ... sure enough ... I never received the email. Instead, I get a collection notice, with threat of late fees. I call AGAIN (yesterday), and the assclown on the phone claims he's an account manager, and that not only do I owe the money, but that I had made a verbal renewal of my contract in 2015, and that I was under contract until 2018. I called bullshit on him. He claimed that he would have Vivint send me the copy of the recording either yesterday or today.

So far, no phone call, and I figure for a Saturday, there won't be, so I'll give him until Monday, then they'll likely get another phone call from me.

Never again will I use Vivint.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. Earthman

This sounds more like something that would happen to small potatoes

Ace and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. We went with a local security company. He put in motion detectors, door sensors, key pad ... I'm happy with it. Pay about $150 every six months for the contract.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. Smallp would have gone for a security upgrade and their financing.

Earthman likes this.
  8. Earthman

And then had his house robbed by the installer

TigerVols and Ace like this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We had a security system in our first house when our kids were little. It was more of a pain in the ass -- going off a night because of a storm, etc. -- than a help.

I do think it could be good if you are away to know if the "pet sitter" spent a total of 5 minutes in the house or if your 16-year-olds sure was opening the doors a lot at 10 p.m. on a Friday.

10. Why does your wife want a security system?

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have an older version of the Nest cam, and it does the job fairly well, but I don't think I'd recommend it as a security system. We use it as a baby monitor and it does occasionally lose connectivity (it almost always returns on its own, but it has happened at inopportune times before, such as when I thought I heard the baby, but wasn't sure).

Realistically, if you're looking for true security - as in protection for your home from burglars/home invaders - you really need one that is wired into the local police department. Anything else will require you to waste time checking the camera and then making a call yourself. If you're worried enough that someone could break into your home to get a security system, those seconds could make a difference.

And @Earthman may have been kidding, but seriously, dogs are a damn good deterrent against break ins. I have a 20-yard driveway that leads out to the street and pretty much no living being on this planet can get within that 20 yards without setting off the dog alarm.

12. Earthman

Not kidding at all. I have 2 big dogs that perform the same 20 yard warning system for me as well.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted