1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I have to wait until Monday for the Bears to get embarrassed by a rookie quarterback. Until then ...

2. Mr. Sunshine

Bills-Jets should be a typically bad Thursday matchup.

Unfortunately, Sunday's premier game features the Steelers, with Pittsburgh facing Cincy in what has become quite the rivalry of late. Over/under on personal fouls?

Chiefs-Texans should be a good game, too, and Saints-Giants should be the fantasy game of the week.

Sunday night is the regular-season debut of The House That Adrian's Switch Built. My first thought is that the Packers will tee off on whichever statue the Vikings have behind center, but Minnesota tends to hold serve at home in this matchup. Rodgers against that defense should be interesting.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, regardless of uniforms, the game should be generally unwatchable.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another one of the mysteries of NFL scheduling: 49ers play late Monday night game on West Coast, then in early slot Sunday at Carolina. Not that it's going to make a heck of a lot of difference.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A query for all members. Aside from professionally, how do you react to NFL game times just as a fan? I was playing golf with a couple of Pats fans last weekend and mentioned how I hated all their night game starts. The other two demurred, saying they didn't like 1 o'clock starts because they didn't want to lose quality free time on Sunday afternoons. They preferred night game, and liked the 4:30 p.m. starts best of all, because, "you watch the game and then it's dinner time."
    I know I've been hopelessly operant conditioned by decades of driving back from Foxboro at 3 a.m. and/or falling bed in some hotel after two knowing I had to be up to catch an early flight home. I dislike Sunday night games, and can't bring myself to watch the Thursday nighters, even though I've been out of the business for 11 years. I'm genuinely curious how others here feel.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Growing up Jewish sucked during NFL Sundays, when the Rams played 1 o'clock EST games, because it was 10 a.m. in L.A. and I'd be in temple.

I'd get home about 12:20, 12:30 and maybe catch the final half of the 4th quarter.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The night games would be so much better if they kicked off even at 8:05 (7:35 would be even better) instead of 8:35. At least if they kicked off at 8:05, they'd end around 11-11:15 p.m., instead of closer to midnight.

In terms of attending a game, a 4 p.m. start is by far the best. Show up to tailgate at noon, home by 10 p.m.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So much easier watching the NFL from the West Coast.

10. I loathe watching any game that runs past 11 p.m.
    I prefer the 4 p.m. start time.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Best part of moving out here. Love the 10 a.m. Get up, nice breakfast, coffee, no time to idle away.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You were in temple on a Sunday? Are you sure that wasn't a church, and you're really some kind of Christian denomination?

Draft saved Draft deleted