1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 years ago, Big Sugar paid researchers to blame fat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 13, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A researcher at the University of California found documents that prove the sugar industry, worried that research was starting to show a link between sugar and heart disease, paid Harvard researchers -- with the aid of studies hand-picked by the industry -- to conclude that saturated fats were to blame and to downplay the sugar link. One of the researchers went on to become the head of the USDA's nutrition division.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

Even though the influence-peddling revealed in the documents dates back nearly 50 years, more recent reports show that the food industry has continued to influence nutrition science.

Last year,
    an article in The New York Times revealed that Coca-Cola, the world’s largest producer of sugary beverages, had provided millions of dollars in funding to researchers who sought to play down the link between sugary drinks and obesity. In June, The Associated Press reported that candy makers were funding studies that claimed that children who eat candy tend to weigh less than those who do not.

This seems like a big step in convincing people about the harm of sugar. I know I've had too many instances to count (but, seriously, like seven or eight) where I've lost 25+ pounds. Of course that means I've always gained it back. This most recent time, which went from April to June, I'm still holding it off; it's the first time I ever went the low-carb/no-processed-food route. Haven't even cared about the fat intake, and my blood pressure and all other measures are doing just fine.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My sausage and peppers Stromboli and Dr. Pepper wish you a long life

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A chilling article, especially considering the increase in obesity we've seen since then (granted, there are other factors).

The money graphs:

The revelations are important because the debate about the relative harms of sugar and saturated fat continues today, Dr. Glantz said. For many decades, health officials encouraged Americans to reduce their fat intake, which led many people to consume low-fat, high-sugar foods that some experts now blame for fueling the obesity crisis.

“It was a very smart thing the sugar industry did, because review papers, especially if you get them published in a very prominent journal, tend to shape the overall scientific discussion,” he said.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You can have your sausage and peppers on LTL's plan, just skip the bread and soda.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've tried low carb. As a runner, it just leaves me with absolutely no energy.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I still drink soda on occasion, but I feel bad every time. Sugar is the worst.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Likewise. I have a Dr Pepper (RIP IJAG) in front of me now - we get them for free at my office. I always regret when I drink one, but they're just so damn tasty.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I drink a soda once every week or 10 days.
    I love sugary soda. If i was on a desert island, I'd rather have a soda than beer, wine or mixed drinks.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

IJAG weeps. Or rages.

Dr Pepper

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Look further back than 50 years on the history of sugar.

If you were a slave, cotton plantations country clubs compared with sugar plantations.

Big Sugar hasn't done much to improve conditions or environmental fallout since.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Big Sugar sounds like a prize fighter. Or a pimp.

Songbird and justgladtobehere like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You only have to live in SoFla for about a week before you figure out how powerful Big Sugar is; that industry has its hands in every aspect of governmental life there.

Draft saved Draft deleted