1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2016 Week 3 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here are the most interesting games and lines for Week 3. Plenty of great games, including some excellent late-night action.

As always, all point spreads from Vegas Insider and all times Eastern:

Thursday

Houston (-7.5) at Cincinnati, 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Friday

Baylor (-30) at Rice, 8 p.m., ESPN

Arkansas State (+9) at Utah State, 9 p.m., CBS Sports Network

Arizona State (-18.5) at Texas-San Antonio, 9:30 p.m., ESPN2

Saturday

Florida State (-3.5) at Louisville, noon, ABC

Miami (-5) at Appalachian State, noon, ESPN

San Diego State (-10) at Northern Illinois, 3:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network

Oregon (+2.5) at Nebraska, 3:30 p.m., ABC

Alabama (-9.5) at Ole Miss, 3:30 p.m., CBS

Pittsburgh (+6.5) at Oklahoma State, 3:30 p.m., ESPN

Colorado (-20) at Michigan, 3:30 p.m., Big Ten Network

Western Michigan (-3.5) at Illinois, 4 p.m., ESPN News

East Carolina (+4) at South Carolina, 4 p.m., SEC Network

Mississippi State at LSU, 7 p.m., ESPN2 (no line yet due to Fournette’s health)

Texas A&M (+3.5) at Auburn, 7 p.m., ESPN

Michigan State (+7) at Notre Dame, 7:30 p.m., NBC

Georgia (-6.5) at Missouri, 7:30 p.m., SEC Network

Ohio State (-2.5) at Oklahoma, 7:30 p.m., Fox

USC (+6.5) at Stanford, 8 p.m., ABC

UCLA (-3.5) at BYU, 10:15 p.m., ESPN2

Texas (-7) at California, 10:30 p.m., ESPN

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

FCS fans love to chirp about how schools like App State will regret moving up and exchanging playoffs and national championships for trips to meaningless bowl games.

That said, App will get more buzz from this one game against Miami in Boone than they got for winning however FCS/I-AA national titles they won.

expendable likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I bet Mark Richt got a nice surprise after unpacking his boxes and finishing the first round of recruiting texts and calls. "You guys agreed to play where?"

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If Mississippi State wins, Miles is out.

5. Steak Snabler

I started to say Boone, N.C., will be quite a culture shock for those south Florida kids, but I'm not sure it's a whole lot different than going to Virginia Tech.

I'd give Auburn next week a better shot of beating LSU than Mississippi State.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Blacksburg, but Boone is actually a hippie/lefty enclave, sort of a smaller-scale Asheville. Still a long ways, figuratively and literally, from Coral Gables. I think most teams have to fly into Tri Cities and then bus over the mountain from Tennessee.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I still haven't read anything that explains how this game happened. I know it was a late add -- last November I think. Doesn't seem like there would be a lot of upside. But maybe Miami knew it had a huge beatdown coming at Notre Dame and wanted to at least try to play a road game it could win.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Boone is definitely more of a small-scale Asheville than it is Blacksburg. Had fun on my one trip there.

9. Steak Snabler

This story makes it sound like it was just a great sales job by the App State AD. Miami having an interim coach at the time probably helped.

Appalachian State secures football series with Miami

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Western Michigan actually a favorite this week, at Illinois? That, along with Northwestern's 0-2 start, says a lot about Big 10 football.

Does North Dakota State has anything left in the tank after last weekend's shootout with fellow FCS power Eastern Washington? If so, the Bison could bring the Hawkeyes back to earth quickly.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What exactly does it say about Big 10 football that two teams projected to finish near last place are off to rough starts?

I'd think Ohio State at Oklahoma would say a little more about Big 10 football, as would games like Wisconsin-LSU.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Whatever the over is for Oregon @ Nebraska, take it.
    Bucky @ Boomer could be fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted