1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB employee doesn't think Mike Trout gets enough attention

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is Mike Trout's greatness going unappreciated?

Great piece. He points out that Trout is a "solid citizen," which doesn't get you attention these days. For a contrast, he mentions walking character issue Tim Tebow. I also agree that it is total bullshit that Ryan Lochte is going to get a cough drop endorsement at some indeterminate time in the future.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

He plays for a shit organization. The end.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is not Trout’s problem. It is not baseball’s “marketing” problem. It is our problem.

First, it's not a "problem" at all. Second, even if it is, it sure as shit isn't MY problem.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tebow has character issues?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

By the way, I can think of at least 20 times, off the top of my head, when the "best player" in a given sport for a given season hasn't won the MVP.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated is lucky to have a true "insider" on its writing staff. Verducci is authentic. He even draws a paycheck from the league he covers. That's an insider.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Have him sit for the anthem if he wants more attention.

old_tony and poindexter like this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is not Trout's problem or baseball's marketing problem.
    This problem rests solely with people such as the author of the piece. People who have lost the ability to distinguish success as a quality that can exist independent of celebrity.

Just because someone garners less attention than someone else is no reflection upon that person's success.
    Success is not dependent on attention.

Trout is 25. He is one of the top players, possibly the best player, in baseball. He's been Rookie of the Year. He's been MVP.
    He'll have made $150 million by the time he's 30, and that is baseball salary alone. He doesn't really need a bunch of national endorsement contracts to be successful.

I certainly hope Trout doesn't give a crap about how much attention he gets in comparison to any other athlete or public figure.

I agree with Verducci that it is lamentable that most people have lost the ability to distinguish between 'fame' and 'infamy,' that modern commentary has lost the appropriate connotation for 'notoriety.'

Let's not also lose the ability to distinguish between 'celebrity' and 'success.'

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    cranberry likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just dropped my son off at day care. I told the ladies about Mike Trout. I felt I owed him that.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I have to correct myself.
    I'm assuming the 'our' Verducci uses is in reference to people who write about and cover baseball.
    It is a problem for baseball media, and there, by extension, a problem for baseball marketing.
    Corporate content and earned media both fall under the auspices of marketing.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What problem is it, exactly?

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don't buy into East Coast Bias bullshit for the most part.

But with Trout, half the country is asleep when he plays. Unless you're a baseball junkie and seek him out, he's under the radar.

Draft saved Draft deleted