1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mr. Fuji

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 28, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I started watching him after his in-ring career mostly ended, although he would do some guest appearances now and then. He was well regarded as a wrestler.

He was OK as a manager who could generate some pretty good heat. One of the nuttier things, if you are so inclined, is to see him and Don Muraco on some elaborate mid-80s skits called Fuji Vice, spoofing Miami Vice. They're so bad, they're good.

RIP

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP another piece of classic 1980s and '90s WWF gone.

Every time I saw him, I would be reminded of watching the old WWF shows with my college roommate and he would joke that Fuji looked like "a Japanese Fred Sanford."

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I still remember the time that he and Mr. Saito had a 2 out of 3 falls tag title match on Saturday morning TV against Jay and Jules Strongbow.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This probably belongs on the wrestling thread but I quit watching wrestling quite a few years ago.

Here in Canuckistan we had Stampede Wrestling which as I am sure any fan knows was the genesis of the Hart clan.

One of the best heels was Makha Singh who also had The Karachi Vice gimmick. Talk about cheap heat, Pakistani dude tapping in to mark's racism.

My best friend was in ECW/WWF/WWE for a while but came up thru the ranks of indie promotions in Canada and abroad.

I gravy trained on lots of his trips. Of the many times I hung out hearing Bad News Brown speak on race in a Smittys Pancake House while shocking the rural crowd by dropping the N word and Motherfucker every 2 seconds remains a hilight.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Karachi Vice was fucking great

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Never got to see much of Stampede Wrestling, but read about all those guys in Bret Hart's book.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, he has a great book.

Speaking of Bad News, I always chuckle at the story of the rib the wrestlers played on a rookie where they told him to congratulate Bad News on his daughter making Julliard. Bad News played along and yelled that his daughter lost her hands in a fire, scaring the shit out of the rookie. Turned out, he didn't have a daughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted