1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports reporter / columbus dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ray Stein195, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Ray Stein195

Ray Stein195 New Member

JUST ANNOUNCED!

The Columbus Dispatch is seeking a full-time sports reporter – the sooner the better, in fact. The Dispatch has an opening for a reporter to cover Columbus Crew SC and work as a general-assignment reporter in the offseason.

We are seeking an enterprising and versatile reporter who can break news on an important beat; who can deliver event coverage on tight deadlines; who can produce content on multiple platforms including blogs, video and social media; who, in short, owns the Crew beat on a daily basis and can engage and inform readers on all subjects.

As this is mainly a soccer position, some experience covering the sport is preferred but not required. A bachelor’s degree and at least one year of experience at daily newspaper or a major website is required.

Any interested candidate should email a resume and three or four clips (no columns) to sports editor Ray Stein at rstein@dispatch.com.

2. Zachary Holden

Zachary Holden New Member

Update on this?

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

4. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

I don't understand people whose only posts on this site is to ask for updates on jobs they definitely did not get.... reeks of desperation. Go about your job hunt quietly. In this biz, there are dozens, often hundreds, of applicants for every job. Groveling on a message board will not make you stand out.

5. Potter

Potter Member

Yeah! And if you do grovel/check in, at least do it with an anonymous username.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Waldo9939 likes this.
  8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Worked in my share of clown car acts and shit shows. This (not the paper, the company itself) takes the cake. Also, with Lakeland voting to go Union and Sarasota following closely behind by at least the consideration of a vote, things getting interesting in and of itself with this company. Bet those workers will find themselves on the unemployment line soon. One more thing, sorry about the hijacking of this thread at this point. Back to the real question I suppose.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In fairness, I'll play the other side here. I agree that if you've put in for the job you've done enough. If he or she is interested then you will be contacted. But there are some editors who promise to update the site and don't do it. I can count several (Phil Kaplan in Knoxville, Tommy Deas in Tuscaloosa, etc.) who do go above and beyond.

This is a great opportunity if it goes through.

Zachary Holden likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's the point, sez Gatehouse: Get outta here.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just to take the thought a little further.

You have a hiring manager's e-mail already when you applied, so unless the OP indicates otherwise, why not contact him/her directly?

steveu likes this.
  12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That's a good point as well.

When I apply with Gannett papers, I look for the planning editor if the job is for a producer. If it's sports, I look for the SE/content coach. I had a bad experience with our initial recruiting team when we formed MLive, so I'd rather take the bull by the horns and sell myself. If it says no calls, no e-mails, then I just trust my gut and leave it alone after applying.

Same thing w/other chains. Depending on whether or not they take calls/e-mails, I always try to find a contact person.

Waldo9939 and Zachary Holden like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted