1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why College Sports is a Scam No. 101...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2016.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch and bigpern23 like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But ... but ... they get scholarships for their 20 (cough, cough) hours a week of work!

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, here's the thing ... the S&C coach spends a lot more time with the players than the other assistant coaches do (because he's permitted to do so by NCAA rules). So if anyone is going to make that kind of money, it should be him.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So the S&C coach is the logical choice as the bagman. He SHOULD get more for that.

YankeeFan and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Love to see them (college athletes) get paid.

And then take away their scholarships, meal plans, housing, free access to all the other goodies. They pay for every bit of it.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

85 scholarships per 128 D1 FBS schools Do you pay each one equally? Is that fair Does Jameis Winston get a million per season but the back up right guard gets 50K? At 50k per player, the NCAAD1 FBS payroll is $544,000,000.00. And $50k is cheap.

Does the 85th guy on Temple's roster make the same as Stanford's #1QB.

8. heyabbott

After Football, what NCAA sport is allowed the most scholarships? No googling

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll guess women's soccer. Fairly large roster, Title IX sport.

10. heyabbott

Nope

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Track and field or crew

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Iowa and the other B1G schools get $32 million or so each year from the Big Ten Network. That's what I consider "unofficially taxpayer supported". If you get BTN, you pay in.

I don't have an issue with the 600k for a strength coach. If Ferentz says he's worth it, that's good enough. SEC schools pay seven figures to coordinators.

I have an issue with 600k for a strength coach for a team that plays the non-con schedule that Iowa does.

Draft saved Draft deleted