1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 23, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The 40 layoffs are across all Time Inc. properties. Let's not turn a bad day into a bloodbath.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Right. Time Inc. Still humans who are out of work.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Plus 110 sales/ad folks last week. I don't think "bloodbath" is that far off.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh it's terrible. But I was just thinking in terms of if it had been 40 gone from SI as the original post stated, which would have crippled the ability to even put out a magazine. But a year after having my horse shot from underneath me, I absolutely empathize.

JackReacher likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cisco announced 5,500 layoffs last week.

"Bloodbath" could be a tad dramatic here.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These layoffs should be reported as percentage of the workforce to make sense. Cisco's was about 7 percent, which is bloodbath territory for a big company like that. What percentage is 40 out of Time Inc.'s editorial staffs?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to this blog, the earlier 110 number represented 1.5 percent of the company's workforce.

RD Recap: WSJ Taps Next Washington Bureau Chief; Layoffs at Time Inc.

With the addition of 40 editorial employees, that pushes the total number to 2 percent, though I don't know what the editorial split is there. Also it appears that some of those dismissed are not layoffs but non-renewed freelance contract.

9. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Surprised there hasn't been any discussion on more layoffs at SI that include college basketball writer Seth Davis. He seems to have enough side hustles that he'll be okay but another example of where the industry is at. Seems like CBB and CFB have been hit bad at the national level in the last few weeks.

Layoffs Hit Sports Illustrated

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

At least he has his junk-science ionized water hustle to fall back on.

In all seriousness, hope he lands on his feet.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

but his dad can still fuck right off.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

His mom, actually.

Draft saved Draft deleted