1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Pretty wide open races this year compared to some years past. So who you got? Right now, I'd go with:

American League
    MVP: Jose Altuve
    Cy Young: Cole Hamels (by a nose over Sale, Verlander, Porcello, etc. Anyone's race right now)
    ROY: Michael Fulmer

National League
    MVP: Kris Bryant
    Cy Young: Madison Bumgarner
    ROY: Corey Seager

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Daniel Murphy over Bryant.

Bryant is hitting .300 on 140 hits, .392 OBP, .957 OPS, 99 runs, 31 homers, 83 RBIs.

Murphy is hitting .345 on 150 hits, .389 OBP, .996 OPS, 75 runs, 23 homers, 89 RBIs.

3. Dick Whitman

It's definitely a coin flip between those two right now.

4. Dick Whitman

As much as I'd like to see Sale win it, Verlander would be a terrific story. His HOF trajectory, I'd say, is back on track.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

JA Happ will win the AL Cy Young cuz he'll be 22-4.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Danny Duffy is a darkhorse for AL CYA. Hamels' WHIP is a pretty high 1.35 and that hurts him in the discussion. Sale and Verlander are neck and neck.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Verlander is a nice story, but Sale has been better. Porcello and Hamels also belongs in the discussion.

I don't think Duffy belongs simply because he has only made 19 starts. If he had been in the rotation from the start of the season and maintained similar ratios, he would have as good a case as anybody, but that did not happen.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, Rick Porcello might be 22-4 also, so he and Happ could tie for Cy.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Altuve isn't a foregone conclusion.

* Betts: 98 runs, 163 hits, 34 doubles, 5 triples, 28 homers, 89 RBIs, 19 SBs, .314 avg and .916 OPS, 291 total bases, 1 error in 263 chances

* Altuve: 90 runs, 178 hits, 36 doubles, 4 triples, 20 homers, 82 RBIs, 26 SBs, .365 avg and 1.005 OPS, 282 total bases, 4 errors in 459 chances

10. outofplace

Porcello also has a lower ERA than Verlander. Happ's is lower than either of them, but he has pitched 23 fewer innings than Verlander.

Now you could go deeper into the metrics with FIP, which hurts Porcello's case and helps Kluber and Duffy, but to suggest wins are the only reason Porcello is in the discussion is to demonstrate a lack of knowledge of his performance this season.

11. outofplace

The numbers are close enough that I think you go with the second baseman over the outfielder.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Murphy's numbers are better than Bryant's by and large but Bryant also has played all 3 outfield positions and everywhere on the infield except 2nd base.

Draft saved Draft deleted