1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana is drowning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Flying in for three hours the way Trump did will certainly fix everything immediately. I can't believe he didn't fix it sooner.

Baron Scicluna and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

FTFY

old_tony likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the time early in my career that I wrote about a former Penn State football player coaching a local youth team. An editor "fixed" the story for me, referring to him as a Pitt grad.

At least this time I don't have to listen to whiny parents complain about your crappy editing job.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Steering back to the actual disaster for a minute, this is the kind of thing that makes you feel good about being a human being. Stories of volunteers not just from Baton Rouge, but all over South Louisiana packing up their boats and answering the call to help people out.

There's also a sports journalism tie. One of the guys leading the volunteer effort was Chris Macaluso, son of longtime Baton Rouge Advocate sports and outdoors writer Joe Macaluso. Chris has done a lot of journalism and PR work himself in and around Baton Rouge during his career.

Citizen-sailors, or 'Cajun Navy,' vital to rescue efforts in sunken Baton Rouge

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would add that it's not getting the attention it deserves in large part because it has been building over many weeks and doesn't fit in a nice package for the 24-hour news cycle.

As many have done with Trump's visit. Way too many hypocrites on both sides. Though I will admit to wondering when the last time Trump handled grocery items was.

YF has gone full o_t. So if o_t is Yosemite Sam, where does YF come in once this thing is over?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

YF has always been one of this board's more thoughtful posters. This is not a new development.

8. outofplace

Did you feel that breeze above your head?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Only breeze in that exchange was well above your head. So far above I wouldn't expect you to feel it.

10. outofplace

The old joke goes that you shouldn't fight with ugly people because they have nothing to lose. Maybe the lesson should apply to people who argue without integrity, such as yourself. I'll have to work on the wordplay for that one.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Whose schoolyard will you two fight at?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I haven't seen such a clever exchange since Goober and Floyd argued over a chicken wing.

LongTimeListener and Hokie_pokie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted