1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana is drowning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 13, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, seriously, what's she doing today and tomorrow? Where is she campaigning?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Put a quarter in the collection plate and post on Facebook that you helped. You deserve the Likes!

doctorquant likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Probably going to the neurologist for dysphasia treatment.

4. YankeeFan

I'd guess so. Breitbart reports that she's "resting". She clearly doesn't have the stamina necessary for the campaign, or the Presidency.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The choice of verb in the phrase "Breitbart reports" is a questionable one. More seriously, while I have nothing against Trump going down there, it's kind of pointless. What is any candidate supposed to say, when I'm President it won't rain so much? The idea the President has to be on site at these disasters is stupid symbolism. The President is held responsible for how his/her administration reacts to disasters, not the sad face they make when they happen. Nobody expected FDR to haul ass to Hawaii the week after Pearl Harbor. He was supposed to stay home and be the leader in the damn war.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The Louisiana governor says Obama should wait to make his visit -- because he can't afford the manpower necessary to staff the president. Should be curious to see the logistical gymnastics that the right tries to perform now.

The Latest: Governor Defends Obama's Response to Flooding

7. Michael_ Gee

Let me put it this way. Should some awful force of nature destroy the comfy home where I'm typing this, I'd look for and expect help from local, state and federal government. If I got the help, I wouldn't care about meeting the President to tell me how sorry he/she is for my misfortune. If I didn't, I wouldn't want him/her around at all.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sitting on a pillow, enabling rape and prodding people toward suicide, no doubt.

9. YankeeFan

Sounds about right.

Could be leaning on a stool, or a railing, or being helped up a short flight of stairs too.

old_tony likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The big question, if Hillary is elected president and she goes to visit a disaster area, is she going to roll her sleeves up? If not, what symbolic thing will she do in its place?

Because nothing shows a politician, regardless of party, that they care about a disaster area like sleeves being rolled up.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree the "politician in disaster area" photo op is overblown. I don't care if Hillary, Trump or Obama comes into town. They probably will make things worse by diverting manpower. I'd rather see the Cajun Navy coming down the street than the Secret Service. At least they'll pull me onto the boat instead of telling me this one is reserved for VIPs.
    And, yes, I know that the president is never really "on vacation."
    What looks bad is Obama being on vacation and golfing while half a state is underwater for the second time in 11 years. Especially when the last president's tenure was, in part, defined by a bungled response to a similar disaster right up the road. That the current president's party used that bungled response to tear down the last president adds to the bad optics.
    Obama doesn't have to visit. But for the love of God, at least get off the fucking golf course. In six months you can play all the golf you want, for the rest of your life, and never even pay for so much as a bucket of range balls.

SpeedTchr, JimmyHoward33 and old_tony like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Are there widespread complaints about the disaster response by the Feds? If not, then this is more arguing about symbolism.

Draft saved Draft deleted