1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Post-Gender' Baby Names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 19, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Is Hayden a Boy or Girl? Both. 'Post-Gender' Baby Names Are on the Rise.

Researchers at Nameberry analyzed the baby name registry from the Social Security Administration and found that the number of babies given unisex names like Harper, Tatum and Quinn had risen 60 percent in the last decade, to 67,831 babies in 2015.

The increase was even greater over the last three decades, with the number of unisex baby names having risen 88 percent since 1985.

Personally, my kids have pretty normal names. But I love the idea of a girl having a traditional boy's name (at least one poster here has done this), and I'd have done it in a heartbeat if I hadn't fallen in love years ago with the name we eventually gave our daughter.

I wouldn't do it to make my kids androgynous, though. That's a little creepy.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know boys named Jordan and girls named Taylor, and girls named Jordan and boys named Taylor.

And then there's Peyton. That's a whole industry unto itself.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Old southern families, particularly the upper crust, have long been giving their kids fucked-up names. Here are some names from some of my friends from back home (I should note that I am not remotely of the upper crust; I know these folks through my wife):

1. Gable
    2. Smythe
    3. Delorme
    4. Stubbs
    5. Klase

See if you can match these names with the sex of their owner.

Edited to add ... Then there's this one old friend of my wife's younger sister. She was in banking until she married a young lawyer and fell headlong into Stepford Wife-dom. They're now quite wealthy (he has his own firm in the Raleigh-Durham area), with the beach house and the private schools and the facelifts/boob jobs and the Volvo SUVs.

They named their son Harley.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. LongTimeListener

dq, I'm gonna say 1, 4 and 5 are boys.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Doug seems nice for a girl.

Lugnuts, exmediahack and expendable like this.
  7. LongTimeListener

And along similar lines ... as I noted on the politics thread, clavicle-blessed Megyn Kelly has two boys and a girl. In birth order, their names are Yates, Yardley and Thatcher.

Go.

8. MisterCreosote

Nothing beats those fucking weirdos in Hollywood.

Although I'm kind of liking Delta for a girl.

9. MisterCreosote

Thatcher is definitely a girl.

(Sorry for the multiple edits - totally misread how many of each she has.)

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is it?

The Canucks have a goalie named Thatcher Demko.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

1, 3 and 4 are male.

And I was gonna say Thatcher's a girl, too.

12. LongTimeListener

Bzzzzzt. Nope!

Yardley is the girl.

I would say Thatcher is the one who will be stuffed in a trash can, but who's going to do that at a D.C.-area prep school -- Spaulding? Ryann? Schmote?

Lugnuts and doctorquant like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted