1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed every minute of the six episodes. Glad I heard about it here.

I come away wondering five things, and I don't really think there are any spoilers here.

1. Did Auburn really hand John Franklin the keys to the car off one amazing half late in a JC season? Seriously, I'm sure he was very much on their radar since he left FSU. But he also did next to nothing and displayed a suitcase full of warts at EMCC, if the documentary was presenting a true picture.

2. If Wyatt Roberts (22 TDs, 2 INTs) couldn't get at least an FCS bite after outperforming a future SEC starter for an entire season, do these recruiters know what they're doing? I'll be really interested to see if he eventually works his way up in the Mississippi State program.

3. How many months until Brittany Wagner heads for greener pastures?

4. Will we ever hear from Ronald Ollie again?

5. Given that the target on EMCC's back only gets larger now and Stephens shows no ability or desire to de-escelate tensions, will there be another ugly incident this season?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

1. I'm afraid Auburn did. No denying his talent but he spent most of the documentary as a zero on anything that didn't affect him directly. Can't imagine how wonderful he'll be in a huddle after throwing a opening-drive interception.

2. I wasn't that impressed with Roberts. He came across as a slow QB who could be a game manager with superior talent. Colleges always need QBs. If he was legit, I think he would have been snapped up.

3. My guess is, probably around week 3 or 4 of the 2016 season, she'll look at the cameras and some idiot not going to class and she'll get the hell out.

4. Possibly. Just not in any sound bites that a TV newsroom could air.

5. Stephens is nothing but ugly.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

After watching that documentary, why would you think she would just up and leave in the middle of the season?

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From what I've read Franklin didn't get handed the keys to the car. It doesn't seem like it is official he will start.

On Roberts, I agree that he does well with great weaponz. He threw the short and intermediate passes and fit the system better than Franklin, but he didn't have a strong arm.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Based on what I've heard, Franklin might not even be the No. 2 QB at Auburn to start the season, which means Auburn might be destined for 5-7 and Gus Malzahn might be headed to the unemployment line.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Auburn: the Florida Marlins of CFB.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    Gus will be like "shut. Up."

Batman and dixiehack like this.
  8. Steak Snabler

I'd like to make fun of Kristi Malzahn, but I think that's exactly what my wife is going to look like when she gets to be that age.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

First call out of the chute on Pawwwl Finebaum yesterday (and the only one I listened to) was some Ole Miss fan bitching out the athletic department because some kid is ineligible despite passing all his classes because he didn't sign up for enough credit hours. He said they should swoop in and hire Wagner "even though I know she's a Mississippi State fan."

It won't be long.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You must have outkicked your coverage by a wide margin.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

On Roberts, I'm surprised he didn't get a look from at least FCS either, but you have to in a way respect his stance that hey, I backed up Ole Miss' starting QB then I beat out the hot shot Florida State transfer who's now going to Auburn and I just don't want to go to a small school and do it any more stance. Maybe he'll regret it down the road, but he seemed pretty firm and content in his decision. Seemed like he was pretty set on going to Mississippi State and calling it good. Nothing wrong with that.

I see he is on the roster now so he obviously changed his mind about walking on, but maybe he likes that spot in the world.

12. Steak Snabler

Just reading between the lines here, I think Roberts wanted to play at Mississippi State and wasn't interested in going anywhere else. He's from Louisville, which is like 30 minutes from Starkville.

MSU didn't offer him, so he decided to go be a frat boy during the week and go turkey hunting on the weekends. Their 4th QB transferred out last week, so that opened up a spot for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted