1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker.com go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 18, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

AP just moved an alert on this.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why close Gawker if the other sites are sticking around? Univision didn't like the image? Was it not doing well compared to the other sites?

6. CD Boogie

Is that true? Where are you reading that Deadspin is staying around?

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From TFA.

After nearly fourteen years of operation, Gawker.com will be shutting down next week. The decision to close Gawker comes days after Univision successfully bid $135 million for Gawker Media’s six other websites,

Nick Denton, the company’s outgoing CEO, informed current staffers of the site’s fate on Thursday afternoon, just hours before a bankruptcy court in Manhattan will decide whether to approve Univision’s bid for Gawker Media’s other assets. Staffers will soon be assigned to other editorial roles, either at one of the other six sites or elsewhere within Univision. Near-term plans for Gawker.com’s coverage, as well as the site’s archives, have not yet been finalized.

Do you think Univision spent $135 million to shut down Gawker, the company?

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

9. CD Boogie

Hoped?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thank God Deadspin is sticking around. Where else would I be able to read 90 percent of New York Times stories ripped off verbatim?

HanSenSE and Old Time Hockey like this.
  11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Wow. Bad day for those that cherish a free press. And--for all its faults--I still liked Gawker.

That said, even I chucked when I saw this:

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The most disturbing part of that is that he signed the tweet, which implies that Hulk Frikin' Hogan has some social media lackey doing his less important Tweeting. The mind boggles.

Draft saved Draft deleted