1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NAIA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doom and gloom, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

This is for anyone who has been an SID or perhaps AD/SID at an NAIA school.
    How can an athletic program bring in 200 kids for football, half of whom are ineligible and must take pre-college or remedial classes to qualify, then have no real revenue? NCAA schools have scholarship limits and multiple revenue sources. Said NAIA schools seem to add a new program every year. If you ask them, they're very secretive about their funding being a private school. Just seems rotten in Denmark, so to speak (and no, Denmark has no NAIA school).

Just curious as to how this works. Pell grant abuse?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Public or private? Know of a public NAIA school with more than 120 players on the football team. Doesn't travel more than 300 miles, though, for road games.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am convinced that some NAIA (and NCAA Division III schools) used sports like football primarily as a means to entice students to campus (not necessarily because they are great in the sport).

They may get some kind of aid (they'd probably get anyway) and a uniform but their real contribution is paying tuition.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I was recruited to play Division III football. I didn't play high school football.

Alma and Ace like this.
  5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They absolutely do this. And not just in football.

There's nothing wrong with it either.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, except maybe when you get down to what's supposed to be the true mission of educational institutions ...

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A Texas 5A high school could beat a typical NCAA D-III team.

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Guessing a simple letter in the mail.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

To make money.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It is product differentiation. Private schools have to desperately compete against subsidized public universities.

If 40 kids a year enroll at a school to play football at a school with a freshman class of 400 that is 10% of the enrollment. Will most of those kids stick it out? No, because ultimately only 22 start and the third stringers fade away. But the the third stringers may well stay at the school because they generally like the school.

I had a relative pass up big State U for a smaller private school because he wanted to continue playing the sport he played in high school. Once he got there he realized he did not have the talent to play at even the NAIA level. But he had made friends so he stayed for four years. He got some aid from the private school and I was told that it was only a bit more expensive than Big State. But to the school he attended picked up 100k in revenue.

Draft saved Draft deleted