1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little things you can't ignore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, here's an idea for another thread: little things that go unnoticed by most people (and even you didn't notice for a while), but once noticed you... just... can't... ignore.

For example, back in the day I was a huge Sports Reporters fan. Never missed it on Sunday morning. Then, my sister pointed out that Dick Schapp jerked his head up at the end of every sentence. By God, she was right. And I couldn't NOT notice it each and every time. Drove me nuts, until I could no longer watch the show.

The latest one: I've been a big fan of Spin City since it was on in prime time. Only recently did I notice that, in the title credits, there is a dog hunched over, straining to shit. And I can't fucking look away.

image.jpg

I hate it, can't imagine why we needed to see it... but I can't look away. Also, I used to love the "Sit Ubu, sit! Good dog!" thing at the end. I always said it along with the show. Now, the new insight from the opening has me yelling "Shit, Ubu! Shit!"

Anyone else want to fly their personal freak flag?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Vombatus likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The radio stations doing baseball here in SoCal throw in a station promo at the end of the commercial breaks between each inning. It adds 10 or 15 seconds to the break and sometimes they miss the first pitch of the inning. Once I noticed, it started to bug me. I think the first time I noticed was many years ago. A Dodger hit a walkoff homer on the first pitch of the bottom of the ninth inning. When they got back from the station break, the fans were already yelling and Ross Porter hurriedly tried to re-create his play-by-play call. Now I notice it all the time on Angels games.

Killick likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

OMG. Shit, Ubu! Shit! LOL.

That was well worth waking up in the middle of the night to take a shit. Shit, VB! Shit!

Baron Scicluna, Batman and Killick like this.
  4. Killick

Good VB!

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arf!

Killick likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I generally don't see it on TV, but when I see a dog or cat scoot its butt on the ground or carpet, they generally look like they are having a good time and enjoying it.

7. Along the lines of Dick Schapp ... Watching Justified the season with Sam Elliott... Every time he delivered his lines he cocked his head to the side. He looks like a fucking pigeon. Every. Time.
    I don't know if he has neck issues, a tick or that's what he's always done. I don't remember that in Roadhouse, Tombstone, or the Big Lebowski, but now it annoys the shit out of me.

Killick likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Use of the phrase 'first ever' in writing and broadcast. Drives me nuts.

Use of the phrases 'on the season' or 'on the night.' Just terrible.

Using singular, superlative entities as plural examples or implied plurals. 'You're Jerry Rices' or 'like a Jerry Rice.'
    There are no 'Jerry Rices' or players 'like a Jerry Rice.'

Use of the term 'scuffle' instead of 'struggle,' especially in baseball.

HandsomeHarley likes this.
  9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"He completed passes to six different receivers."

10. Killick

Oh, great. I really enjoy SE, now I'm going to be noticing THAT every time. Damn you, Orville!

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Megyn Kelly's clavicles.

Riptide likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This came up at work last night. As much as I love "Wagon Wheel" (Old Crow version please), the line "He's a'headed west from the Cumberland Gap/to Johnson City, Tennessee" drives me batty. Should be east.

expendable and Killick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted