1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter on the Last Frontier | Fairbanks, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Aug 10, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports reporter on the Last Frontier

Sports are a bit different up in the Interior of the great state of Alaska. Sure, we’ve got college and high school basketball, ice hockey, and volleyball, along with high school football, and other traditional sports. But we’ve also got dog mushing, skiing, curling, shooting, Alaska Native games and other sports that make being a sports reporter a bit different here.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner is looking for a sports reporter who can handle any type of sports coverage with our three-person staff as well as present it quickly online and through social media.

E-mail a cover letter, resume and clips or links to Managing Editor Rod Boyce at editor@newsminer.com.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If I were in my mid-20s instead of my mid-40s, I'd be all over this gig. Great area of Alaska (provided you can handle cold weather in the winter) and a good paper for its size.

Oh, and bring along a li'l bug spray to handle the Alaska state bird ... ;)

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I worked there something along the lines of 2006-2008. So, it's been a while, but I can provide some insight. Feel free to PM.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

How far is Fairbanks from Denali?

5. amraeder

3-3 1/2 hours-ish

6. amraeder

And just because the question about Denali got me thinking about it - Fairbanks summers were the best summers I've ever had. The weather there is perfect. The fact that you put the paper to bed and it's still light out - I loved it. Paper would finish, I'd go home and then go jogging (when I wasn't heading across the street to the Big I...). Loved it.

The winters are brutal, but man, those summers...

Ice9 likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But Lake Tahoe is just 15 minutes away.

Baron Scicluna, Ice9 and jr/shotglass like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

At some point it doesn't matter if it's -10 or -40°. Balls cold is balls cold.

JBondurant804 likes this.
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I thought space was the last frontier ...

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Co-sign. There's a certain threshold that, once you stop feeling your face, doesn't matter what the temp is.

Draft saved Draft deleted