1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Was trying to remember where I'd heard of EMCC and Scooba before. Got my answer when Bull Sullivan came up.

The Toughest Coach There Ever Was

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Watched the first two episodes. Very good stuff. Brilliant insight into these people's lives.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wait until you watch the last two episodes. Holy Lord was that something.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What happened in episode 4, the homecoming game with all that fighting? Who was that ref on the sideline that got in a fight with the coach? What was his role and what was he doing that pissed off the coach?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And that's why Buddy Teevins could coach D1 but not Buddy Stephens.

7. justgladtobehere

Yes. But the ref wasn't an on-field ref. He has the cap but just had a black top. Buddy started yelling at him to get off the sideline. Things escalated from there and the ref pushed Buddy leading to the ref throwing a punch.

In Last Chance U, the refs are on mic asking Buddy to leave the field.

Why was there a ref not on the field? What was he there for?

The last two episodes are great, as has been mentioned.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the episode, by from my time spent on college football sidelines, there's a referee on the sideline who appears to be keeping track of which on-field official throws a flag and when. I've not seen what he actually writes on his clipboard, but I've noticed he's usually writing something every time a flag is thrown.

I might be way off on what his actual function is, but there is another official who is not on the field.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Just watched the whole series in two days.

The same people who think Buddy Stephens is a good coach are the same people who believe Donald Trump is a self made billionaire. He's a dipshit blowhard hypocrite who was more concerned about his goddamned fourth title than the safety of his player. That was obvious when a coach stated after the brawl that DJ Law could have been killed and Stephens replied, "these things happen."

And it never occurs to Bubba the Love Sponge that maybe the other team isn't so aggressive with the cheap shots if he wasn't trying to run up the score. Six episode advertisement for what coach not to play for.

And I agree the star of that show is the academic advisor, who you can see really cares for these kids and wants them to succeed.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

I liked that schlub of an assistant that shows up in the last few episodes. Oddly fascinated by what he was doing on the staff.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Season 2 has been green lit

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was thinking it was the alternate official (the one who takes over if an official is injured or falls ill during the game), but you may be right.

Draft saved Draft deleted