1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For goodness sake, HIRE EXPERIENCED COPY EDITORS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is wrong on so many fronts.
    Newspaper apologizes for 'insensitive' Simone Manuel headline
    A really good copy editor would say your post should have read:

"This is wrong on so many fonts."Ace, a witty copy editor would have written it that way. I just decided to use fronts instead of fonts to be more accurate about the situation.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll stipulate we need more copy editors; but this one's on the Web editor as well.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Publishers saw your request and have issued a statement in response:

"Nah."

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Having edited copy in either sports or news since Donald Trump owned a team in the U.S. Football League, I couldn't agree more with the title!

But experienced copy editors cost too much and we're too likely to call BS on the gibberish that spews from newsroom "thought leaders."

I wonder if the person who wrote that web headline ever even worked on an honest-to-goodness copy desk.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would like to interject here that racially insensitive headlines are not exactly a new thing in the newspaper world, nor are they necessarily a byproduct of corporate cost-cutting.

It was a bad headline. There have been bad headlines as long as there have been headlines.

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

If readers don't care, why tweets about the headline have hundreds of replies and RTs?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'll bet 99 percent of the people complaining have never paid a dime for the Mercury News.

And I bet a good deal of people paying for the Mercury News didn't give a shit.

I mean yesterday, we had what's supposed to be a reputable outlet outing, for no good reason, a bunch of Olympians. Just because.

Much of the industry is a shit show right now.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

She's a great African American and an even better black woman.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've seen worse headlines approved by experienced copy editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted