1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials offended at being portrayed as easily offended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Aug 11, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Headline brands tens of millions of people based on a question supposedly asked by one person in a focus group? Gee, why would anyone take exception to that?

A millennial member of a focus group has angrily objected to the contents of a television programme because it portrayed millennials as coddled, easily offended and thin-skinned.

The whole "millennials" thing is kind of worn. I don't know exactly what the cutoff age is, but I sure as shit know enough whiny-ass 40-somethings to put the whole stereotype to bed.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And an anonymous media member who may or may not be the same person. That shittily written piece was unclear.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Admittedly, the headline was misleading and the article was lacking. I just enjoyed the symmetry of it all.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cynical Boomer responds cynically.

(Actually, I'm a Joneser.)

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

British clickbait is the best clickbait.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My question is and always will be:

Who raised them? They didn't just become this way.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The internet.

Vombatus, jr/shotglass and old_tony like this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was at a meeting a few days ago, and the head of the organization who was hosting the meeting was introducing a new staff member to those of us in attendance. I'm sure she's a very bright and capable young woman; I really know nothing about her.
    Anyway, he introduces her and then says 'I've been told not to make anymore jokes about millennials.'
    So I said, 'Studies show they lack a sense of humor.'
    The young woman in question seemed to think it was quite funny.

old_tony likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Told they're special snowflakes all their lives. Now that they're in the working world, accepting constructive criticism - intended to make them better - doesn't always fly well.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Surprisingly even to myself, I find that too easy an answer.

There are 64-year-olds that describes. And there are 20-, 25-, 30-, 35-year-olds that certainly doesn't describe. LTL is right. The "millennial" tag is in its 15th minute of fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted