1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Owner Needs Someone to Pay for a New Facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Aug 11, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought I would open a separate thread on this because is there a more enduring issue in American professional sports?

It looks like the Texas Rangers new stadium is going to a vote in November.

Rangers stadium heads for ballot, Arlington mayor grabs at phone of opponent videoing him,

I am not from Texas but I can't see this passing. When the Denver area passed a tax to fund Coors field there was a rush to hold a special election in August rather than wait for the general election in November. The higher turnout in a general election will include a huge anti-tax increase element and makes it very difficult to pass something like a stadium.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When's the last time taxpayer funding for a major American stadium didn't pass?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll be very surprised if this doesn't pass.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arlington voters are sheep. They'll vote for anything that's put in front of them as long as they don't have to pay for it themselves. The latest tax is just an extension of the same tax that built the Death Star.

The current ballpark is perfectly fine and a massive upgrade from the old Arlington Stadium and its metal bleachers that would put third-degree burns on your ass. It's only 22 years old and still in immaculate shape. Just goes to show what a throwaway culture we have.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Public financing of stadiums is such a scam. Despite what teams and "independent" consultants say, there is no positive ROI on the money spent.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I have to give Starman credit, about 10 years ago he already was saying teams would be lining up in a bit to replace that last wave of ballparks (c. 1992-2001). Then the Braves did it. Now the Rangers are doing it.

What's the residential vs. business tax base in Arlington?

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Diamondbacks are on the clock. Maricopa County rejected the team's demands for stadium upgrades the team contends is part of the lease. Let's see if the team stays in that stadium until 2027.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RickStain and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dan Snyder has also started bitching that he wants a new stadium to replace FedEx Field, which is 19 years old.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I will be, too. And I'll be ticked off when it does. Again.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As I recall, they did a pretty massive renovation of the place not too long ago -- maybe five or six years ago, certainly less than 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted