1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kotinka Hosszu an abused wife?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The man bun alone is abusive, regardless of his other behavior.

But, yeah, he looks like a friggin' psycho.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Deadspin do its own damn reporting?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Fixed.

5. Sounds like at best he's emotionally abusive. At best.

In fairness, it's probably her fault. [blue font]

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I found it curious that it was like 7 paragraphs in before it says she's an Olympian or what country she represents.

7. Dick Whitman

Well, presumably it ran on the Olympic page with an Olympic tag. It would be like noting that Andrew McCutchen is a major league baseball player high up in a piece on the baseball page.

8. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

It's because the first seven paragraphs were awful.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The first sign of a bully is that person denies being a bully.

It also makes me think a bit differently about Dan Hicks' comments.

10. Dick Whitman

That would also seem to be a very early sign of a non-bully.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's one of those deals that's sort of the "mystery of relationship" deals. The relationship seems inappropriate to me. But, then, he's her coach, and he claims there's a standing offer for him to step down if she ever wants that, she wants him to coach her, and it may be that she prefers the tradeoff - his treatment of her made her the Olympic champion she so dearly wanted to be. There's a cost to being great, especially when the Americans can end waves of elite-trained athletes at you every four years. He's a control freak. He gets way too much of his worth out of her performance. It disturbs me. But I also have a context, and it's clearly not their context.

I mean: We live in a culture where a man can say "I'm a woman" - and vice versa - even though it flies in the face all biological evidence. And our culture requires us to nod our heads in furious agreement. Hell, we live now in a culture where a child can say that, and we're supposed to take that declaration stone cold seriously. We also live in a culture where adoptive parents FREAK OUT if an announcer correctly suggests that someone's grandfather is, indeed, their grandfather, and not their dad.

If the standard is that broad, do we always know, for sure, how people wanted to be treated by their spouses?

Again: I think it's inappropriate. But, then, I think other things are, too. It's just my opinion. It's Jessica Hardy's opinion, too.

One more thing: I've spent enough time around swimming to know that Tusup's schtick is really not appreciated. Swimming culture is...interesting. There's a smugness, a stoicism to it. This clown on the deck surely pisses them off to no end. It makes it too much like other sports that smug, stoic white swim coaches like to get away from.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is this supposed to be a play on the 'Odd Couple' sitcom opening?

'In the fall of 2012, Shane Tusup was asked to become more involved in Katinka Hosszu’s swimming career. That request came from his girlfriend, Katinka Hosszu, who suggested that he coach her. Deep down, he said, he knew it could work, but he also knew that someday they might come to regret it.'

Earthman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted