1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another great moment for Stockton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 4, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

KJ has competition.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Judging by the thread title, I thought this would be a thread about short shorts.

jpetrie18, SpeedTchr and HanSenSE like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why was the mayor of Stockton in China?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mayors go on junkets all the time. Certainly gives credence to the conservative view of reducing government.

In his case, it could have had some benefit from the city. California real estate is benefiting from an enormous influx of Chinese money. Stockton is Bay Area-adjacent enough to get some of that business.

I still have high hopes for the Stockton mayor. As a backdrop to all of this, he says his gun was stolen -- a gun that was later found to have been used in a murder.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Understood, but in most cases its a waste of resources, especially for a town the size of Stockton that filed for bankruptcy within the past decade.

Port of Stockton management, maybe. The mayor just wanted a free trip to China.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Are there enough gullible Chinese to seek the American Dream in Stockton?? Reminds me of my annual trip up the 5 to NoCal. Always stop at a Subway in Buttonwillow owned by a family from India. You wonder what they tell their friends back home about their lovely existence in beautiful Buttonwillow.

Another one: A couple of years ago, one of those lists showed up on FB -- The 10 American cities where you are mostly likely to have your car stolen. The list looked like the Cal League standings. Stockton, Modesto, Visalia, Bakersfield. Also Fresno was on there. And this was a national list headed by Detroit and Flint.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You wouldn't think the money would flow out there, but it does. A few years back, a friend who lives in Hong Kong emailed because an acquaintance of hers was looking hard at the California market. Close to the ocean, the prospective buyer had heard. When my friend sent me the locations, I sent her back that list you're talking about. A person who doesn't know someone with local knowledge would never hear that.

As hard as it is to believe, there are thousands of people living in Stockton or places of equal distance and commuting to work in the Bay Area every day. It's a one-way trip of 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I guess theoretically Antioch is oceanfront property even though it's well inland but on an estuary.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Port of Stockton is pretty big. I don't know what the annual cargo tonnage or annual revenue are, but it has to be one of the larger inland ports in the country.
    Logistics, distribution, etc. are appealing industry opportunities for companies looking at the San Joaquin Valley as well as Stockton.
    At least they have been, that could change if (when) the new state wage increase chills economic development in one of the poorest regions in the nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted