1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 best alt-country albums of "all time"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 5, 2016.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As best-of music lists go, that one is pretty fucking good. The only major omission I thought of was DBT' s The Dirty South.

One quibble is Wilco's "Being There." Great album, but it's not really alt-country. It has some of that, but mostly it's the perfect bridge between where the band came from and where it was going.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

1. Uncle Tupelo – Anodyne (1993)
    The last entry in the band’s catalog before Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar parted ways

Wait, what???

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good to see some love for the great Dave Alvin, Lucero and the fucking awesome Jason and the Scorchers....

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Two Avett Brother albums? Good list. :cool:

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Dave and Phil Alvin have put out a couple of solid albums recently. Worth checking out.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Both very good records, still holding out hope for a Blasters reunion....

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, I know what I'll be listening to at work for the next couple of weeks.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Trace" is one of the greatest albums ever made, period.

In the '90s, only "Nevermind" may eclipse it. Seriously. It's absolutely note perfect, start to finish.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" came out when I was in college and barely aware of alt-country. At the time, I would have told you I hated country music. I recall that "Rolling Stone" gave it a 4 1/2 or 5 star review as its lede review that week, so I decided to check it out. It blew me away, and that is probably a top five turning point in my listening habits during my life. Another was the first time someone popped in "Nevermind" in the Little League concession stand where we worked. Another was when my friend lent me "Exile on Main Street" to listen to through headphones as I wrote a long-forgotten paper for a class.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Scorchers shoulda been on the list twice, with Still Standing being added (or any of their live albums). And I say this not just because they played my 16th birthday party.

To learn more, make sure you stick around past 1:20:

#RIPPerry

The Questionnaires shoulda been on the list once.

Edit: How the fuck can Foster & Lloyd not be on the list?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yep. And it made everything Farrar has done since pale in comparison.

Draft saved Draft deleted