1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Tinder work, exactly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Based on this story, glad I'm not single.
    I also don't understand how Tinder works.

This guy in SF had a 150 dates - a 150 DATES this summer - and is still single.
    1: Is this even possible? I don't think I've had 150 "dates" in my entire life.
    2: How is this possible? How does 1 man even get 150 dates in the span of what four months? He claims to have spent $6,000 on these dates?
    3: It's obvious I have no clue how Tinder works.
    4: How does a man who did 150 first dates not have a GF via this app?

This guy has swiped right on 200,000 women, without much success

Paging Freq ... ;)

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That dude needs some serious lessons.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's clearly not going on dates to find a girlfriend. And why does a coffee date cost $40?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was fully prepared to see "...asking for a friend" in the OP.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No corn fields in the Bay Area, there's your answer [/freq]

Vombatus likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think this guy is confusing Tinder with Pokemon Go. He's trying to catch them all.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A decent-sized pack of condoms costs $20.

---

I've heard a rumor that women care about personality. If his automated persona is speaking in one "voice" and his real-life self is much different, I could see why there wouldn't be many second dates.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

1) It might be my bias at play, but I'd think that someone who has the mindset to create a bot that automatically right-swipes everyone on Tinder might also not be the most engaging and exciting person to deal with on a date. Especially when I see that of his 150 first dates, only 52 became second dates and 17 went on three or more dates - That's a pretty low conversion rate, as someone who has used OkCupid over the years. (I tried Tinder a little bit, but in my area, it's almost exclusively the domain of college undergrads.)

2) I personally liked the idea of Tinder - judge only based on a picture! - but I found that the actual conversing was somewhat difficult because you're starting from square one, vs. other online options. On OkCupid and eHarmony and other sites, they force you to answer some basic questions and write a profile at the very least, so you can do some screening. (i.e. People who smoke, if you don't want that, would have a low match percentage with you.) With Tinder, you had to do that sort of screening on your own.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

sg says in his first point what I was trying to say. And I agree on the second point, Tinder/Bumble conversations are very stilted.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is 17 third dates out of the first 150 first dates really that bad?

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to provide good data, since I've deleted my OkCupid account. (I met a lady from there, and we've been together for about 9 months now.) But I think my own percentage for second dates was probably close to 50 percent, maybe a bit higher, and from second to third date, the percentage probably would have climbed even higher. (i.e. If I went on 10 second dates, I'd say 7 or 8 of them resulted in third dates or more.) In contrast, his percentage actually went down (33 percent to 32 percent).

Also, I find his money figure incredibly dubious, and unfortunately the article doesn't seem to probe that too much. How is he $6,000 poorer? Six thousand divided by 150 is $40 per date. Was he taking each of these women to dinner on a first date? I'm a lowly and poor journalist, and maybe it was just the women I was attracted to tended to be liberal feminists, but most were far more comfortable splitting the tab. With Tinder, given the gap of knowledge you have about the other person, coffee seems like a much better idea for a first date.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh the stories I could tell. Maybe I'll get buzzed one night and tell a few

Draft saved Draft deleted