1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanna cover North Dakota State? Pay up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jul 30, 2016.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The restrictions on live-blogging, streaming or broadcasting press conferences, and interviews seem most problematic. That would effectively end online video for newspapers and severely hamper TV and radio guys, wouldn't it?
    Some of the others, like not broadcasting from campus on game day, just seem stupid.
    Sadly, though, the NDSU spokesman wasn't wrong in that a lot of programs have started to do this.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Don't need permission to live blog. I'm guessing the decision will be reversed,
    but NDSU might dig in its heels.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That would probably piss me off if I lived in West Butthump, North Dakota.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't the SEC try to limit live blogs a few years back?

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

That deadspin story is very light on details. Covering press conferences live.....what's that mean? No streaming on Twitter or Facebook live? I think the NFL and some NCAA conferences ban that too so their own sites and rights holders have exclusivity to live content. That's reasonable. If it's don't take notes or tweet highlights or news or quotes that's an entirely different thing.

I read the NFLs creds recently and it has a thing about live blogging, you can't post such frequent or detailed updates where it could reasonably be used as a substitute for watching the game through rights holders. There's also a thing about not having video available online for more than 24 hours......this is def not exclusive to North Dakota State.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

U.S. TV channels have been lucky in that they haven't had to pay for highlights rights like organizations have to do overseas. BBC will pay $270 million for the rights to Premier League highlights during the new three-year cycle that starts in two weeks.

9. Not trying to be a smart ass, but can you name some?
    Deadspin made it seem like it was more rare than common.

Deadspin did point out something I did not know... ND has something in the common with the other ND: UND Fargo's games are broadcast exclusively on NBC stations throughout North Dakota. Wow.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The InForum article that HansenSE linked to, and JimmyHoward's post explained it a bit better. But I believe the NFL has a 48-hour window in which you can show highlights after a game and that's it. Some college conferences have or have at least tried to impose similar restrictions. The SEC tried it in 2009, but quickly loosened up.
    In fact, this is straight out of the SEC's credential agreement. It specifically mentions radio, but could easily be extended and amended to cover live blogging and tweets. The principle is the same:

The restrictions on one-on-one interviews seem onerous, because of the "written consent" provision, but in practice it's probably simpler. "Written consent" could mean a season credential, or it could mean you e-mail the SID to set up an interview with the coach and they arrange it. If you're looking for an extended one-on-one, you're probably doing that anyway to find out when they'll be available.
    The 24-hour rule is in place at almost every school, mainly as a courtesy to the SID and to make sure they need to tell a guy to be somewhere. At most schools, you'll also rarely if ever get any availability past Tuesday or Wednesday. You usually get a big presser on Monday with whoever you need, some post-practice availability Monday and Tuesday, and maybe one more quickie on Wednesday and that's it until game day.
    Here's the relevant section from Ole Miss' football media guide, and they're one of the better programs to deal with:

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Careful, don't say that around the Peace Garden State. People get offended easily up there if you mix up the two institutions.

And by the way, yes the NDSU games are aired across North Dakota on the state's two NBC channels.

12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted