1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Paige leaving Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 30, 2016.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or as some of us out here like to refer to him … Plaige. His final column after 35 years will appear in Sunday’s editions. He had been in negotiations after the latest round of buyouts and layoffs added more decimation at 101 W. Colfax. Certainly his hefty contract did not sit well with the hedge fund ownership group.

Sports was particularly hit hard in the latest layoffs/buyouts, with longtime writer Irv Moss finally riding off into the sunset. The longtime preps reporter was basically told if you don’t take the buyout you’ll get a pink slip. A sports digital producer got laid off. Now Paige. Oh, and the lead Broncos reporter just bolted for a Mike Klis-esque gig as the Broncos reporter a local TV station (not mine). They reshuffled some deck chairs internally because there was certainly not going to be any hiring from the outside.

Paige will continue to write a column Sunday, but for the Colorado Springs Gazette.

It’s seriously grim times there with the hedge fund owner Alden Global Capital slashing and burning away. Certainly not the vision Uncle Lean Dean had after he engineered the closing of the Rocky more than seven years ago.

Onward and downward.

Update: Woody Paige Is Officially Leaving the Denver Post

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He left for a stint during his early ESPN days, no?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Did he? I thought he was doing both. I'll be vilified for this but enjoyed First Take with Paige and Skippy. Good contrast and not as much screaming.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A local owner with deeper pockets needs to go in and get that paper out of the hands of the hedge fund. Easier said than done, I know.

Oh, and I still prefer the Rocky over the DP. I MISS the Rocky. :(

5. MileHigh

I believe he was still doing a Sunday-only column but you might be right. The Post is pushing that he's been there the past 35 years. Wouldn't be the first time they've exaggerated something.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I actually think he left twice. Once for ESPN and once briefly in the 80's. When he was hired from by the Post from the Rocky Mountain News in 1981 he was going to transition to a general column. That did not work out and I think he briefly went to Florida and then came back to write a sports column and to serve a stint as sports editor.

But the 35 years refers only to the time he spent with the Post. He was with the Rocky Mountain News from about 1973-1981. So Paige was a columnist in Denver for almost all of the last 43 years.

So my question is who is the longest tenured active columnist not named Sid Hartman? Is it Paige, who will write for Colorado Springs?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Forgot that guy even existed. Good for him.

8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

His 2002 takeout of the salt lake city winter Olympics was a classic. Even insulted the lds crowd. Had to write an apology column 2 days later.
    Woody Goes Limp

9. MileHigh

Great headline:

Woody Goes Limp

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Seems like a good move if MileHigh and other members of the local media think he is a plagiarist.

11. MileHigh

Found it. Yes, for 2 1/2 years, from 2004 until returning on Dec. 1, 2006.

Draft saved Draft deleted