1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's Amare!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A career that should've been much greater. Knee surgeries killed his mojo.

One of my favorite moments is when he gave the nod to Blake Griffin between free throws after Blake's dunk. One of those little moments of moments.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well ..the knee issues AND really crappy defense. And, unlike other guys whose downfall was defense, Amare couldn't use physical limitations as an excuse. Even when he was the most athletically explosive big man in the world he still never wanted to guard anybody.

But he was a breathtaking talent in his prime. Nash to Amare was once as lethal a passer to finisher offensive combo as we've ever seen.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. Songbird

Yeah, those Suns should have won it at least once.

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Besides his knee not having Nash around also hurt Amare.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep. He's one of those guys where I think it's fair to question what kind of a player he'd have been without a teammate (ie. Nash). It's worth noting that when Amare missed the entire 06 season in his absolute prime the Suns barely missed a beat without him--still finished first in their division, Nash still won the League MVP, and the Suns still reached the Western Conf Finals without Amare.

Amare certainly benefited from having the perfect point guard (Nash) and system (D'Antoni run n gun) to fit him during his peak years. If he'd landed elsewhere, I doubt he'd be remembered nearly as prominently. That said, he did have one really productive year in NY his first year there, but it was all downhill after that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He benefitted from playing with Nash. But Stoudemire was still one hell of a pick and roll player. The two of them together were a great combination.

8. Songbird

Stoney likes this.
  9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

His defense was unbelievably bad. He made Rasho Nesterovic look like Tim Duncan against the Raptors the one time I saw him live.

I loved him on the pick and roll and the SSOL teams are some of my all time faves but Geez what a liability the guy was.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is why D'Antoni's system was perfect for him. Nash feeding him ans no need to play defense. Just couldn't stay off the DL.

To be honest, I didn't know he was still in the NBA.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He seemed like a super nice guy and an insane athlete before he got hurt, but he might have had the worst defensive instincts of any NBA player that I've seen.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted