1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNeese State beat writer | Lake Charles, Louisiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CarlSpackler, Jul 28, 2016.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

The American Press, an award-winning newspaper in Lake Charles, La., is seeking a multi-media sports reporter to cover McNeese State University athletics as well as being responsible for related content that drives audience growth on social media. McNeese is a NCAA Division I/FCS school with a rabid, FBS-like rabid local following and is a member of the Southland Conference.
    McNeese is the reigning Southland Conference champion in both its football and softball programs, both of which are under new coaches for the upcoming seasons.
    The position includes being able to recognize breaking news and trends related to McNeese athletics; engaging the community through print stories and frequent posts online; reporting and writing game coverage with a strong sense of energy and tenacity. Job would include travel to all road football games and many in other sports.
    Applicants must have a bachelor's degree, 1-3 years of newspaper experience, be well-versed in AP style and have reliable transportation.
    The American Press, a family-owned newspaper, offers a competitive salary and benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) and paid vacation. Email your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Executive Editor Crystal Stevenson, cstevenson@americanpress.com.

2. CarlSpackler

SPOILER ALERT: This is my job. So you can ask me a bunch of questions if you want them answered immediately. Also, I didn't write the ad, I just posted it. (The fans really are rabid, though. Literally, I think, in at least a couple cases.)

3. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Spackler, you moving on?

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

If he's moving on, I hope he received his total consciousness.

5. CarlSpackler

I'll be looping exclusively for the Lama.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Hey @CarlSpackler, I'm a big fan of The Band, have you ever met Miss Bessie? I heard she's in Lake Charles.

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

You see the PM I sent you?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If he went "straight down the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico," he missed Lake Charles by a good 120 miles.

9. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted