1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fulltime Sports Editor/Page Designer | Paris, Illinois

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jul 27, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Fulltime Sports Editor/Page Designer

Award-winning papers in East Central Illinois seeking fulltime sports editor covering three county high schools. Must provide leadership to a growing group of sports stringers, write clear, compelling copy and be able to handle page design for a three-papers a week operation. We are 90 minutes from Indianapolis Colts/Indiana Pacers/IU basketball, an hour away from the University of Illinois, 2½ hours from St. Louis Cardinals/Blues and 3½ hours from Chicago Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks. Please send a letter of application, resume and examples of writing and design work to Nancy Zeman, managing editor, The Prairie Press and Paris Beacon-News at nzeman@prairiepress.net.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You'll cover none of this, of course. But there it is!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And why would you want to, with Lake Tahoe just 15 minutes away?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Do the Colts still have training camp in Terre Haute? You might be able to go visit as a fan and write a column about it.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dammit, I could work for the Beacon-News!

I swore Terre Haute was still involved somehow. lol... and I call myself a Colts fan! Guess it's only after baseball season.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

No, the Colts train in Anderson now, northeast of Indianapolis.

I would assume Paris High School would be the focus of coverage. There is a school at the north end of the county, Chrisman, that had a good small-school basketball tradition at one time. It also holds an annual cross country meet in a pasture called the "Cow Chip Classic." Shiloh, the other high school, has been strong in girls basketball. Paris has about 600 students while the other two are around 100.

There might be enough Indiana State interest to warrant coverage, but at three days a week, covering games won't make much sense.

As a town, Paris has a few restaurants and a small move theater. It does have its own Walmart.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I went to HS there in the 1990s. The town has a half-decent basketball history but longs to be good at football, which it really really isn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted