1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop telling me I'm beautiful. I'm ugly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. freqposter

freqposter Active Member

Always tell a woman with a nice personality that she has a nice personality.

cjericho and Vombatus like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll get it out of the way: 6.

4. Dick Whitman

I would think that any beauty deficit a woman might face is compensated for, as far as attention goes, by men's calculation that she might make a more willing sex partner.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I would think a big part of real beauty is feeling comfortable in your own skin.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I wanna see that booty first.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When I write pieces on this subject or even allude to having an opinion online, anonymous Twitter trolls tell me I wouldn’t be so unattractive if I didn’t dye my hair, got a good chemical peel and stopped “eating Oreo’s more than vegetables.”

To paraphrase Daniel Tosh, if you're looking to Twitter trolls for validation, you better fill up the Paxil, because life is gonna be sad.

9. Dick Whitman

There is literally nobody attractive enough to be immune to Internet potshots about their looks. There was a feminist New York Times column the other day about Donald Trump and Melania, and a high school friend of mine speculated that, "Judging from her photo, she's insecure about her own looks." The columnist was an extremely attractive woman. I flat-out told him that I know what he could possibly looking at, and felt a little dirty at the same time, getting sucked into the vortex of assessing the columnist on her looks.

When I was a columnist, male emailers and fanboi message board posters would constantly go after my looks, and I'm a dude.

I literally have no clue where I fall on the attractiveness scale. Somewhere around not repulsive, I guess. I didn't have great luck with women back in the day - I was never the member of my circle that women targeted. My brother to this day likes to make snide comments about his superiority in this department. But my approach and confidence wasn't great, and I've lost probably 40-50 pounds since then, as well. I've been out of the game so long that I wouldn't know. I think I probably just look like a middle-aged dad. My wife is attractive, but there are plenty of ugly dudes who manage that. It just takes one.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

This must be a female obsession at The WAPO
    http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2016/...ditor-accuses-donald-trump-of-hitting-on-her/

"As the meeting ended and we were walking out of the room, I thanked Trump for taking my question. He turned to me and said, “I really hope I answered your question,” and added casually with a smile, “Beautiful.” I was stunned. I didn’t say thank you, and I don’t think I smiled. He then walked out to meet with my Post colleagues briefly before heading to the elevator. I stayed in the conference room for a few minutes as it sunk in that the potential GOP nominee for president thought it was okay to comment on my appearance. Did he just say that?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There was a woman to whom I was extremely attracted who would say those exact words to me. After a while, I had to learn to catch myself when I started to blurt it out. I think she meant that she knew she didn't fit the model/magazine stereotype of beautiful, but it drove me nuts because it presumed my interpretation of beauty must therefore be limited to that narrow view.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Can we get RickStain in here for an official verdict?

Draft saved Draft deleted