1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best round of golf you've seen.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm talking in person......not on TV.....though for what it's worth......TV version, either Stenson's 63 in The Open, or Davis Love III's impossible 64 at The Players 13 years ago.

2 weeks ago on our home course, was playing in a group with one of my best friends that shot 62. Hit 16 greens, made one bogey from 70 yards out on a par 4, missed a 6 footer for birdie on the par 5, made par on a drivable par 4 when his drive landed right behind a tree and had to punch out.......(par 70).....1 eagle, 7 birdies, 1 bogey.

That 62 could have very very easily been 59.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I made a birdie once.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I covered Woods at Pebble in 2000 Open. Will never see better. but of course I only walked with him for parts of rounds 3 and 4, saw their finishes in press room, so maybe that doesn't count. Saw one of my niece's husband, who's a 2 handicap, shoot 68 with a double eagle at Mid-Ocean in Bermuda.
    For sheer joy, the ace my Mom made at the 18th at the Greenbrier in 2003.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

rrrraaatttt ffffarrrrrttttsssss!!!!!!!!!!!

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I covered the '87 US Senior Open for AP when Gary Player shot rounds of 69, 68, 67 and 66 for a then-Senior Open record 270 to win at Brooklawn Country Club in Fairfield, Conn. I remember it being really hot and Chi Chi Rodriguez insisting that I eat one of his bananas.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Sounds like grounds for a sexual harassment suit.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Two summers ago I stumbled into something with my swing/game and had a month or two there where I was playing as well as I ever have (and there was a time when I was pretty good). I had two fabulous rounds under difficult (for players of my caliber) circumstances. Memorial Day weekend they set up my very tight, very difficult home course as hard as they could (with ridiculous pins, rough, etc.) a la the U.S. Open. I shot my best-ever round (+3) on that course that day. Then, late in August, I was invited by a friend to fill out a little one-day thing involving a group of guys who'd gone to college together long ago. One of these guys is a member of one of the very exclusive, very hard courses in Fort Worth (more exclusive than Colonial), so I jumped at the chance to play there. Having never seen the course, I shot two under on the front and three over on the back.

My closest friend, who generally has a handicap that's a couple of strokes lower than mine, was with me both days. And both days, he blew up as he got into urging me on. He told me after both rounds he had been as nervous as he'd ever been on a golf course.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Was walking inside the ropes with Rory during R4 of the U.S. Open at Chambers when he made seven birdies in 13 holes to get within two of the lead. That was fun.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Was the rest of the course (aside from the greens) really that bad?

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No, the layout was very cool. With good greens, it would be a fun venue for players. Lot of amazing opportunities for cool shots if you can carry certain parts of the hazards/rough.

For spectators, it wasn't great. It needs to lose some dunes and mounds between holes that serve little purpose and block viewing. But it's a very cool venue.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once followed John Daly at the Bruno's in Birmingham years ago. He was fucked up by the fifth hole. He carried a glass of something with him, that I was sure wasn't water. He'd walk the fairway, drop his cigarette, leave a 9-inch divot, pick up his cigarette and walk to the next shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted