1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This song reminds me of ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was in the car the other day and Phil Collins' "In Too Deep" came on a playlist. All I could think of was that scene in American Psycho when Patrick Bateman is in the room with the two prostitutes and that song is playing.

What other songs immediately have you thinking of specific pop culture moments?

Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight": The Wonder Years scene when Kevin scrambles up to Winnie's roof after her car accident comes to mind.

Man, American Psycho has a few of them ... Hip to Be Square (HI PAUL), Walking on Sunshine, etc.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The Layla piano part for the Goodfellas montage scene of uncovering the guys Jimmy had whacked.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Stuck in the middle with you" is synonymous with the ear-cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs. Every time I hear it, I even have to fight the urge to strut like Mr. Blonde.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Most of the reminders are personal for me. I spent a summer wearing out In Through the Out Door, so whenever I hear any of those songs, I immediately think of that time. I also spent months listening to nothing but Deguello and And Justice for All. Any of those songs transport me back to my junior year and all the things I was doing, which was actually just one thing -- drugs.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Seger's greatest hits album -- specifically Night Moves -- reminds me of my last summer in college and days at the beach with the girl whom I wouldn't say got away but rather I wish I'd known how much of a relationship we could have had. It worked out as we both met the women we'd marry after we both moved away. Still, I can't hear any of those songs and not think wistfully of her.

On a less sentimental note, because of the movie "Across the Universe" I can't hear Strawberry Fields Forever as anything but an anti-war song.

Also if I hear "Surfin Bird" I picture the Full Metal Jacket scene where the film crew is panning across the guys sitting up against a wall during a battle.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In the City -- the Warriors

Huggy likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, definitely....

I will never forget the summer of 1979 when we wore out Cheap Trick Live at Budokan, Candy-O by the Cars, Supertramp's Breakfast in America and Hemispheres by Rush...remember it like it was yesterday.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They use Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire" three different times during Henry Hill's frantic afternoon when he's delivering guns and bringing his brother to his house and cooking the gravy. They use the drum solo right before the cops pull up and he's arrested in his driveway.

lcjjdnh and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

End of thread.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't know if "End of thread" applies here, if only because that scene was probably the only exposure to the Geto Boys for at least half the people who watched it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow, I have a lot of songs that conjure multiple memories. Hard to pin down.
    'Free Nelson Mandela' makes me think of parties at a particular friend's house back in high school.
    'Bohemian Rhapsody' makes me think of smoking pot in the car outside of the mall.
    Most Genesis makes me think of a very close friend who passed away four years ago.
    'Walking on the Moon' makes me think of a girl from my 20s and doing nitrous outside the Mann Music Center.
    'Broken Arrow' by Buffalo Springfield makes me think of playing guitar and singing at parties in college.
    'Drunken Boat' makes me think of my first several months on Guam.

Draft saved Draft deleted