1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP VCRs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Dang it! My skill using a butter knife to fish tangled tape cassettes out of those machines is now even more obsolete.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wait, they still make them? I thought the last ones went away when Blu Ray made the VCR/DVD combo more obsolete.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have five working VCRs in my house in case anyone needs one.

I can't believe they sold 750,000 of those pieces of shit last year.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be more likely to believe that Helen Thomas was still alive than they were still making VCR players.

But now that they are really going, how am I going to watch my Richard Simmons workout tapes?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw so many movies I shouldn't have seen as early as I did, solely because I was the only one in the house who knew how to work the VCR.

Favorite had to be My Tutor, with Caren Kaye. I was 12.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Fuckin' hipsters.

expendable likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Probably more like parents of Millennials who are now grandparents and only have VHS tapes from when their kids were young. ...

And hipsters. Definitely hipsters too.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'm also surprised they still made them. Only reason I can think of are non-adapters, maybe older people who don't want to get rid of their tube TVs and old tapes. I also know we have a working one mainly because my wife has an extensive collection of kids movies on video -- mostly Disney movies, some that are said to be valuable but who knows -- and sometimes the kids watch them.

We actually picked it up maybe a decade ago on the cheap thinking it would be about the last chance we had to grab one just in case. Those things look absolutely awful on today's TVs by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted