1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dennis Green

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Jul 22, 2016.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Crown his ass.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Knew it was a heart attack. Damn. RIP.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

He's off the hook.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, that's tooooo early!!! I enjoyed his thoughts as a coach and later as a commentator. May you RIP Mr Green.

Lugnuts and Liut like this.
  6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

In some ways he brought it on himself with his NFC championship game tactical decisions, odd autobiography, and, um, personality quirks, but the amount of abuse heaped on him here in Minnesota even with the level of success he had - 8 playoff berths, 5 10+ win seasons, and two NFC championship games in ten seasons, after taking over a franchise that was decimated by the Herschel Walker trade, and stuck with a dysfunctional ownership situation - in some ways opened my eyes as a white guy to how much latent racism there actually is in this state.

7. Personality quirks?

And R.I.P...

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The second black head coach in the NFL, and the first one to have lasting success. He was also one of the first to get "recycled" and get a second job somewhere else, which was a big deal. Haven't thought about it enough to draft a fully-formed thesis on it, but he doesn't get enough credit for breaking down some of those walls that existed for so long just by being competent and successful.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was watching the 1999 NFC Champ Game at a store while shopping for cribs with my wife, I distinctly remember watching the drive and Anderson lining up for the chip shot (35 yds?), inside the Metrodome, to put the Vikings up by 10 and thinking all right Green going to Super Bowl with Cunningham and Moss. So wrong.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I knew that would be the first comment. :)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Minor pet peeve here ... I know the game was played in January 1999, but it's the 1998 NFC championship game because it was the championship for the 1998 season. The Rams and Buccaneers played in the 1999 championship game in 2000.
    Carry on.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it rumored he paid for an abortion.

Draft saved Draft deleted