1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Times is still the gold standard of journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Thier articles are well written, fact based and generally free of hyperbole. They are moving away from "this is what he said happened and this is what she said happened" to this is what happened and this is what people say about it.

I go to the local newspaper web sites to find the latest updates on breaking events. When I want an after the fact, concise understanding, I go to the NYT.

Here is a nicely reported and well written example from Maggie Haberman and Michael Barbaro on the Ms. Trump speech:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/us/politics/melania-trump-convention-speech.html

jimluttrell1963 likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why do they refer to her as Ms. Trump? They're married, no?

Pilot likes this.
  3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Congratulation Tom Jolly ?

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Maggie and Michael

5. Hey, FYI: The Times calls women Ms. on second reference, unless or until they learn their preference is Mrs. Neither Melania or the Trump campaign have objected to Ms., nor have they offered a preference to change to Mrs.

6. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Couldn't agree more. After hitting my article limit following the events in Dallas, Nice and then Turkey, I (gasp) bought an online subscription. Incredible value. The writing and reporting are superb, and they have reporters everywhere. Fantastic stuff.

jimluttrell1963 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted