1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After Scott Baio last night, he figured he'd seen enough...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is an iconic death. He was responsible for some generation-defining TV from the 60s and 70s. But also responsible for some of the worst dreck brought to the movies in the 80s and 90s. RIP.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Also one of the better theme songs/montages.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I thought the Odd Couple was his best work on television.

5. The Big Ragu

Maybe. But as with a lot of things he was behind, when I think of the Odd Couple, I don't immediately think of Garry Marshall. I think of Neil Simon.

The Odd Couple encapsulates Garry Marshall. You have the original, which is a classic. But then he also had to give us the New Odd Couple in the 80s with the black dude from Barney Miller as Felix and Lamont from Sanford and Son as Oscar.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Man, don't go knocking Lamont. He put up a lot of shit dealing with Fred and that beat up red truck.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Speaking of Laverne and Shirley, what ever happened to Penny Marshall?

She used to be one of the hottest comedy directors in Hollywood, but according to her IMDB, she hasn't directed anything other than a couple of TV episodes here and there since 2001.

8. The Big Ragu

Two things. She is in her 70s. . ... so.

But also, several years ago it came out that she had lung cancer that had metastasized to her brain. I didn't hear much after the original stories. She has probably been through hell.

Not completely surprising, either. Whenever you saw her, she had a cigarette hanging from her mouth.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Flamingo Kid was a great movie, but a lot of movies weren't exactly groundbreaking (albeit pretty successful).

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Likeable guy. I think he was more of a concept guy than director.

But he did give us the Fonz and Ron Howard.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"Nothing in Common" with Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason was pretty good, too. Three of his last four credits as a movie director were "Mother's Day," "New Year's Eve" and "Valentine's Day." Dude liked his holidays.

Draft saved Draft deleted