1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile, just another ho hum blood-soaked Chicago weekend.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stoney, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Amidst all the attention focused on Baton Rouge and elsewhere, I feel it worth noting that vast areas of our third largest city continue to resemble a war zone. At least another 59 shootings in this most recent normal 2-day weekend, and around 2200 shootings in just the first half of this year.

I'm struck by how little attention Chicago's staggering shooting rates get nationally. CNN and company will rush to the scene and give breathless around the clock coverage of other shootings, while largely ignoring the fact that the shit is happening on a nightly basis elsewhere in the country. Does this ever become something we more care about?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

TSP will be along shortly to scold you.

And no. There is zero political benefit for the people who "care" about minorities to make an issue of this.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

You would think the president would be concerned about what has been done to the community he "organized."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

6. Mr. Sunshine

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"I also don't believe in drugs. For years I paid my people extra so they wouldn't do that kind of business. Somebody comes to them and says, «I have powders; if you put up three, four thousand dollar investment - we can make fifty thousand distributing.» So they can't resist. I want to control it as a business, to keep it respectable. I don't want it near schools - I don't want it sold to children! That's an infamia. In my city, we would keep the traffic in the dark people - the colored. They're animals anyway, so let them lose their souls."
    ―Giuseppe Zaluchi

8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

But they now have Dwyane Wade back home

heyabbott likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Has Chicago cracked the top 25 yet?

10. Dick Whitman

FWIW, the Chicago papers really have stepped up their coverage of the violence problem. I've researched murders from the '90s and been unable to find a mention of them in either paper. (Which, as a side note, was fairly good for the police, who were able to indiscriminately railroad whoever they wanted to with no oversight for the crimes. But that's neither here nor there.) Now it's fairly extensive.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mr. Hate Myself will be along to toss stupid insults.

Oh, wait, he already did.

12. Mr. Sunshine

TSP's not mad he's just projecting ...

Draft saved Draft deleted