1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossfit Games to award guns to first-place finishers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

CrossFit Games come under fire for awarding Glocks as prizes

I wonder what would happen if the winner couldn't pass a background check. Does it go to the second-place finisher?

It seems like a bad idea to me and a lot of people, but Crossfit box owners are small business people and the program caters a lot to police and military, both typically right-leaning groups.

Crossfit's homepage also frequently post conservative articles as "food for thought."

I guess it's understandable.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Comes across as kind of tone deaf, with this being described as the "summer of slaughter."

Dave Castro and the CrossFit braintrust never seem to give much of a rip about what people think. And when someone criticizes them (or CrossFit in general) they only dig in their heels. Who knows, next year maybe they'll give out bazookas.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The "stick it to the libtards" sentiment is popular in some circles so maybe it's not all that tone-deaf.
    These days a lot of people wear their obnoxiousness like a badge of honor.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Can I get Irony Police on the line?

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My wife and I both do Crossfit to stay in shape. It's made a huge impact on our lives physically and mentally and it's helped us set a good example for our kids about fitness, nutrition (no we don't eat "paleo" but we definitely eat a much cleaner diet than we did before) and sticking with something that's challenging. But I hate this. I'm all for 2nd Amendment rights and I'm personally skeptical of a lot of the gun control proposals out there. But I don't support efforts to push or promote gun ownership either. One thing I like about the Crossfit gym where we work out (they're all independently owned and each one is very different) is that - while we have plenty of veterans, cops and firefighters as part of the great community that's developed there - we don't engage in the over the top "hero" fetishization I've seen at other gyms where I've dropped in when traveling. That kind of stuff has always made me uncomfortable, since it plays into this dangerous notion that every single soldier or police officer is not only a great person but is superior to everyone else too and morally infallible, and how dare we ever question what our military or law enforcement is doing. Pushing guns on people just takes it all to another level, as innocent and passive as Dave Castro is making it out to be. Another thing - Crossfit is worldwide. I just worked out at one in Barcelona a couple weeks ago. I have to wonder what the affiliates in other countries - who provide a lot of the Games athletes but who do not share our gun culture (after all, who else does, really? The only other country I've lived in is Israel where, even though everyone knows how to use a gun as a result of universal mandatory service, and where the military is deeply ingrained in everyone's lives as a social and civic institution, you do not have anything like the gun culture or military fetishization you have here) must think of this. If one of those Icelandic women wins the Games, can she even bring her Glock back with her?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's gross when people "push" constitutional rights.

Just the other day, I heard someone yammering on about the First Amendment. Ugh.

I don't need to hear about your reverence for a free press.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder how ESPN (or is it NBCSN - whichever airs this) feels about it. Will it even mention the pistol during the awards ceremony?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You act like he handed them an NRA pamphlet.

9. YankeeFan

Nah. That would be an exercise of the First Amendment.

10. Dick Whitman

The Second Amendment is a Constitutional right. I don't think it should be, in its current form. But it is. I acknowledge that. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be prudently exercised. Awarding guns to randoms is not a prudent exercise of the Second Amendment. He's not pushing the Second Amendment on people. He's pushing guns.

X-Hack likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

This whole, "imprudent" argument is a load of bullshit.

Is it possible to imprudently exercise your right to an abortion?

Can you imprudently exercise your right to vote?

How about your Fifth Amendment rights? Under what circumstances would you accuse someone of the exercising them imprudently?

12. Dick Whitman

I think that people can exercise their First Amendment rights imprudently, for sure. This is one of your favorite sleights of hand: Every constitutional right is the same. They aren't. Also, yes, if the Crossfit owner was giving out free abortions as the prize for being the biggest badass, I would probably be uncomfortable with that, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted