1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social media celebrity murdered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 16, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't believe how long it took you to post this one.

Riptide and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My first reactions to that photo: 1) that's a guy! 2) those man hands! 3) cue the bear.

5. YankeeFan

Nearly 1,000 women are murdered in Pakistan each year for violating conservative norms on love and marriage. The so-called "honor killings" are often carried out by family members.

Such killings are considered murder. But Islamic law in Pakistan allows a murder victim's family to pardon the killer, which often allows those convicted of honor killings to escape punishment.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Liberal friends of mine posted plenty about this yesterday on social media. They were sufficiently outraged.

7. YankeeFan

Did they offer any ideas about how such practices could be ended?

8. YankeeFan

I'm at least happy to see that the cleric who she took the scandalous picture with has been punished by the Pakistani government:

She became embroiled in scandal earlier this month when she posted pictures taken with Mufti Abdul Qavi, a prominent cleric, in a Karachi hotel room during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. In one picture, she is wearing the cleric's trademark fur-lined hat.

Qavi maintained that he only met with her to discuss the teachings of Islam. But the government suspended Qavi and removed
    him from the official moon-sighting committee that determines when Ramadan starts and ends in accordance with the Islamic lunar calendar.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Knowing the direction YF is likely intending to steer this thread, I will point out that this hideous practice is by no means confined to the muslim world. In fact, I believe more honor killings occur in a non-muslim nation, India, than any other. And there are even backward ass European countries like Albania with their own honor killing traditions.

The common denominator is not a specific religion, but instead primitive third world cultures that still embrace medieval notions of "family honor."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If 100 of them offered an annotated doctoral thesis on precisely that topic, I am pretty certain you would be ready with another question indicating an outrage deficiency.

Donny in his element and Stoney like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus there's that whole female castration/mutilation thing that is insane and backwards as all hell.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Albania
    Albania
    You border on. The. Ad-ri-atic.

HC and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted