1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLS team denies credential request

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jul 16, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Hahaha. MLS.

3. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

The most amazing about this (to me, at least) is that — at least as I write this — the comments with the story are mostly supportive. Sometimes grudgingly, but the majority seem to recognize that this is an exceptionally dumb move by the team. I'm used to the fanboys coming out of the woodwork and ripping the paper on a case like this.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I went poking around a RSL blog to see reactions and noticed that the release from the team mentioned that the columnist "draws a paycheck from a competing professional team in the marketplace." It turns out Monson's radio show is on a station owned by the Utah Jazz.

From the soccer team's perspective, this still seems dumb and petty. Even if the ticket office thinks of the Jazz as the blood enemy, you don't go projecting that to the public. But from the paper's standpoint, how do you let your columnist work, even just technically, for the team he's likely to write about the most?

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Monson is just there for the free seat and food. Wonder what story he was working on about the team?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Orange slices for everyone" seems strong with Real Salt Lake. I'm guessing they're fourth on the sports food chain behind, in no particular order, BYU, Utah and the Jazz.

I wonder if, in the corporate journalism of today, if the radio show is seen as a conflict of interest, or just another cross-platform exposure?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Bingo. SLC is a two-paper town, and if the tribune can get some extra exposure for their columnist, which will surely lead to more clicks, perhaps they can look away when it comes to a conflict of interest. That's not a knock on the tribune, either, just the reality of journalism in 2016.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Soccer team caved. All is back to relative normal. My over/under was a week.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  9. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why would you read the comments?

11. I blame soccer.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They probably have so many ticket buyers from Idaho and Arizona they don't have to worry about the SLC outlets covering games.

On a totally unrelated note, whatever happened to Ruben?

Draft saved Draft deleted