1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Tourist Info?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Jul 13, 2016.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

My wife and I are thinking of having a long weekend in early October for our anniversary. We have always wanted to visit Philadelphia. What area would be best to stay in as far as dining, history, convenience etc. Also any hotel ideas would be cool. Thanks in advance.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife and I went a couple of years ago and stayed at the Doubletree Center City. It's right on Broad Street, about two blocks from City Hall, and we paid less than $100 for a Sunday night stay in early August. It was a good, solid three-star hotel. Nothing fancy, but far from a flea bag. For the price and the location, it's hard to beat.
    That puts you within walking distance of most of the historical sites, too. About a mile from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. If you're looking to visit those things, you want to be in Center City.

As for touristy stuff, besides the historical sites, check out the Mütter Museum. It's a museum of medical oddities. Very cool. The shrunken head exhibit is great fun.
    Home | Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My go-to hotel in Philadelphia is the Sheraton Society Hill. You can walk to all the historic sites from there and you have the waterfront. Brunch at Cuba Libre on 2nd St. is pretty damn special, too.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tir Na Nog is a really great spot for live music, great beer and better whisky. Food? No so much.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Have a Philly trip scheduled for sometime in the (hopefully) near future (more for genealogy purposes - ancestors of both me and Mrs. Fly are planted there, and mine were in the second wave of founding Germantown in the late 1600s) so keeping tabs on this thread. One must-do for me is DiNic's at Reading Market for the roast pork sandwich. Screw the cheesesteak!!!

Oh, and Tired Hands Brewing up in Ardmore.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I too am heading to Philly in early August...this may be time to start a SJ.Com scavenger for future goers ala national treasure. First clue may be Hi Sandy scrawled on the Liberty Bell.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have been essentially living in Philadelphia the last year and a half, spending more than half my time there. It's not my favorite place, but for a visitor it provides a treasure trove of stuff if you are interested in colonial and revolutionary war history. I don't quite get the Liberty Bell as much as others do (it seems like the most popular tourist thing), but everyone should visit Independence Hall at least once. I'd also highlight the Barnes Foundation. It is one of the best private collection museums in the world. It stacks up with anything in New York. To the point that it is overwhelming. Every painting is a master work, and it gets overwhelming, because the walls are packed. It's not like a typical collection where you have a lot of "meh" stuff filling things out for the one or two stars of the collection. It's amazing that one person was able to compile a collection like it.

Just walking around down in the society hill area, I am constantly hit with interesting things, too. We had to be there last weekend, and we went for a walk on Sunday, and there is this plaque we have stopped to read before outside a Jewish Cemetery that dates to 1740s. The gate to the cemetery was open, so we went in and ended up getting a free tour from this really passionate man, who is a retired public school history teacher and is a volunteer docent at the cemetery. The most famous person buried there was Hyam Solomon, who was integral in financing the Revolutionary War, but is pretty much forgotten today. I love little unexpected things like that.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Eastern State Penitentiary is also great. They've turned it into a museum, and you can get through there in a couple of hours.
    Plus, if you're going in October and are into such things they have what I hear is an awesome haunted house at Halloween time. Last year they had an "enhanced" version where they separated you from the group, sent you down deserted passageways, and got a little hands-on. There's parts of that place that are creepy as hell in the middle of the day. I can't imagine wandering through there at night, when they're actively trying to mess with your head and scare the crap out of you.

If you want a more benign experience, go the art museum and run the steps like Rocky. Or the Franklin Institute, although that might be geared more toward kids than adults.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Philadelphia Marriott is across the street from Reading Terminal Market, and it's about a six- or seven-block walk to Independence Mall, which is where you'll find Independence Hall, the old Senate building, the Liberty Bell and the Constitution Center.
    I don't recommend the Liberty Bell unless there is absolutely no line.

Eastern State was not open when I was a South Jersey resident; however, on a visit to see family during the fall we went for Halloween and it was awesome.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This place is also incredible: The Barnes Foundation - Home
    You have to call ahead and reserve a spot, though. Trust me. Reserve you tour spot.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

With gold, no doubt.

I keed, I keed.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Monk's has a tremendous beer selection.

Jim's is the best cheesesteak. Watch out for weirdos dousing it in ketchup.

Draft saved Draft deleted