1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mickey Furfari has passed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Just got word Mickey Furfari, dean of WV sportswriters, died this morning.
    He'd been in poor health for some time, but was still writing columns for a half-dozen papers throughout the state.
    After his wife died, he's was in rough shape; couldn't see, hard of hearing and couldn't drive. One of my mentors would pick him up and take him the stadium to the press box, that was probably a decade ago.

Covered WVU since the 50s. Always asked the opening question of the WVU pressers and post-game interviews.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

RIP Mickey. Had no interaction with him but sounds like he deserves to be remembered.

3. He'll be well remembered in West by God....
    He was no Blackie Sherrod, or Jerry Izenberg but he was well-liked and well thought of. His work was bedrock solid.
    He worked in newspaper since the 40s.
    Mickey was always kind to fellow writers and generous with his time to newcomers. In fact, he often took time to mail notes to sports writers praising a story they'd written - myself included. He was a gentleman. A class act. Mickey was the same in his writing. If he was critical of someone he tried to not make it personal, and to keep it professional.
    Towards the end of his career - probably be last 10 years - I think sports writing was the only thing keeping going.

BDC99 likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted