1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How your city's newspaper handled the fatal shootings in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How did your newspaper, or the newspaper in your city, handle the fatal shootings of five police officers in Dallas in Friday's editions?

The paper in my city, which has early A section deadlines, wrapped its A section with what it called an ``Extra'' with a story written several states from Dallas, accompanied by three pictures.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Front page, big two-deck headline, lede position.

I'm on the east coast. Looking through the Newseum's daily front pages yesterday, I was surprised by how many big papers — including one in Texas — in the Central time zone and westward didn't have it on their front page at all. I guess deadlines keep creeping earlier and earlier and earlier ...

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Austin's final deadline is 8:30 local time. They got shut out.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That's disgraceful. Sometimes you call people back and screw the deadlines.

Front page for us.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Sidebar with man on the street reaction and another with statements from politicos who were all - yawn - "shocked and saddened."

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'll see your "shocked and saddened" and raise you "thoughts and prayers."

Tweener likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why does a town as big as Austin have an 8:30 deadline? They must have given up on getting an game stories in for the paper.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the one I alluded to.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Those early deadlines are going to start costing terrorists scholarships.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Two of the three papers within 40 miles of my home (East Coast deadlines) had nothing, at least not in the editions I saw. The other had it as the 1A lead/centerpiece in its final edition and appeared to have done a fine job under the circumstances (it also ran a blurb directing readers to a digital extra with expanded coverage).
    I believe that paper has outsourced its printing to either San Antonio or Houston, and deadlines were moved up accordingly. And you're right about game stories -- with Longhorns football playing mostly night games, they miss out unless there are some serious deadline concessions.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Small suburban paper went web only. I have no idea why, as I believe their deadline is at least 11 pm.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Anyone with an expectation the print edition should contain up-to-date news probably doesn't understand the internet is on computers now.

Draft saved Draft deleted