1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burning Old Glory on Independence Day is a felony in Illinois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Jul 5, 2016.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good Lord.

“It’s when you say things that are inciteful and make it clear that you are associated with someone that doesn’t share your ideas; it got raised to a level where a reasonable person there would fear for their safety. It’s similar to yelling fire in a movie theater. ... Concerns have to be balanced. This wasn’t an issue with anyone at the police department being personally offended by his speech. But the reaction that it was gathering, and the concern for the safety of all involved forced us into a reaction.”

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So, who took down his Facebook page?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So according to the story, the police took this guy into custody because they received numerous calls from callers concerned about his safety and theirs.

So who else would feel threatened by a Facebook post of a guy burning a flag?

Not me. And I don't even have a handgun to protect myself from burning flags or angry anti-flag burning protesters.

And wouldn't the police be better servers and protectors if they maybe took into custody anyone actually threatening or harming the flag burning guy?

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think whoever wrote the Urbana police department's press release should be arrested. Please explain how a Facebook post of a guy burning a flag puts "the safety of innocent and uninvolved citizens at risk."

I can see it now.

"You're under arrest."

"What for?"

"Some innocent and uninvolved citizen may get hurt."

7. Dick Whitman

Every time YF, Sunshine, et al., shriek that we don't care about Second Amendment rights and, by proxy, the Constitution and freedom, I will bring up their myriad contributions to this thread.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Does myriad mean the same as zero?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Synonym for "lyrical." Keep up, wouldja?

10. Dick Whitman

I've been quite impressed by @YankeeFan's contribution to this thread, as bullish as he is on Constitutional rights and freedom.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Hadn't clicked on the thread until you summoned me.

Pretty dumb.

But, hey, maybe we have a basis to the burqa.

Also reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

Flag burners are mostly idiots.

12. Dick Whitman

We don't have a "basis to the burqa."

Barney Fife does not get to overturn settled Supreme Court law.

Draft saved Draft deleted